Newbie Questions

SamV

Hello all,

I'm looking into purchasing a HP Microserver N36L and have a few newbie questions. I've had a quick read through the manual and site and just seem to confuse myself.

My current setup is basic but it does the job, I have 4 external 2bay RAID1 enclosures, these are Films, TV, Music, Backup. I tend to connect them to my laptop as and when needed. However, Film and TV stay connected to my Western Digital HDTV Media Player via USB.

Q1. Will I still be able to connect the unRAID NAS via USB to my HDTV Player and have it work like a big external HD?

Q2. Can the HDs be amalgamated into one big share with the directories "Film", "TV" etc rather than as a per disc basis?

Q3. In relation to Q2 is it possible to password protect certain directories in this setup. Ie Backups/Sam and Backups/Frankie with their respective users while keeping the Film and TV directories freely viewable by anyone?

Q4. Can you mix and match hard drives providing they are the same speed and no larger than the parity drive?

Q5. Does adding new hard drives affect the shares if setup as Q2 or is the spare capacity automagically added?

Q6. Will Time Machine software on the Mac work as normal?

Sorry about all the questions, I feel like a total newb, the last time I built an array it was RAID5 and every disc had to be indentical and adding new discs etc was a pain.

Hello all,

I'm looking into purchasing a HP Microserver N36L and have a few newbie questions. I've had a quick read through the manual and site and just seem to confuse myself.

My current setup is basic but it does the job, I have 4 external 2bay RAID1 enclosures, these are Films, TV, Music, Backup. I tend to connect them to my laptop as and when needed. However, Film and TV stay connected to my Western Digital HDTV Media Player via USB.

Q1. Will I still be able to connect the unRAID NAS via USB to my HDTV Player and have it work like a big external HD?

Don't think so, you usually access it by samba or NFS etc.

Q2. Can the HDs be amalgamated into one big share with the directories "Film", "TV" etc rather than as a per disc basis?

Yes.

Q3. In relation to Q2 is it possible to password protect certain directories in this setup. Ie Backups/Sam and Backups/Frankie with their respective users while keeping the Film and TV directories freely viewable by anyone?

You can setup users and set/deny access to certain shares etc

Q4. Can you mix and match hard drives providing they are the same speed and no larger than the parity drive?

Don't have to be the same speed, they can be completely different, the only requirement is that they are smaller or same size as the parity.

Q5. Does adding new hard drives affect the shares if setup as Q2 or is the spare capacity automagically added?

You can set in unraid what drives to be used in the shares and which drives to exclude, so if you add a drive you can easily just add it to the shares for those drives.

By default unraid will use all drives so will start using it automatically for the shares, unless you have specifically set preferred drives etc for the share.

Q6. Will Time Machine software on the Mac work as normal?

no idea what that is :)

Sorry about all the questions, I feel like a total newb, the last time I built an array it was RAID5 and every disc had to be indentical and adding new discs etc was a pain.

Yes Time Machine will work fine depends on your version of Unraid. I am running 5b12, and have 3 MAcbooks backing up to the unRaid every hour. So yes, it works fine. I allocated a separate disk, which is not in the "shares", for Time Machine backups - 9 disks for parity, movies, msuic, etc etc, 1 disk for Time Machine Backups. This works very well.

Archived