Media Server ReBuild 2023/2024

Comments, Tech Check & Suggestions Welcome.

My media Server is getting close to 10 years old and I've been having issues with the server not booting occasionally and have to pull the battery and short the contacts to reset the Bios. Not sure what is causing it but it seems to happen mostly when Humidity and Temps have a significant change. Could be a bad solder joint or connection.

Also I Can't get the IGPU to work with current MB.

CURRENT SERVER:
Unraid 6.9.2 plus • Fractal Design Define R5 • SuperMicro X9SCM-F-O •  i3 3240, SeaSonic SSR-450RM • 8x 7200 rpm + 1 HOT Spare Drives • Adaptec 1430SA SATA Controller.

NEW SERVER REQUIREMENTS:
Using current CASE, PSU and SATA Controller

IPMI:
IOS and MAC access.
Supermicro Works.

POWER CONSUMPTION:
Not too much more than the current Server.

HARD DRIVES (Same as Current):
6x 2TB 7200 rpm array, 1 Cache, 1 Parity, 1 HOT Spare

VMs:
None that I can for see. But would like 1 to be available if needed in future.

DOCKERS that would be normally in use:
1.Channels DVR
2.Plex or Jellyfin

DATA - Video Streams (Same as current server):
Up to 6 HD video streams Recording to Cache Drive.
1 or 2 HD video streams at a time while Recording as above.

TRANSCODING:
Up to 2 streams at a time for iPads to lower Resolution over WIFI.

NEW SERVER PARTS LIST:
I know some of these parts may be a little dated.

MOTHER BOARD:
SM X11SCA-F (C246 Chip Set) / supports QuickSync (new $365)
Newegg

CPU:
Xeon E-2146G - ( refurb)
Techmikeny
OR Xeon E-2144g (Used Ebay) OR Intel Core i3-9100 (new $148) These all have IGPU and support ECC RAM.

RAM:
2x Crucial Server Memory 16GB DDR4 DIMM 288-pin - 2666 MHz / PC4-21300 - CL19-1.2 V - unbuffered - ECC CT16G4WFD8266  ($166)
Amazon
OR
Non ECC, Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Desktop Memory CT2K16G4DFRA266 ($95)
Amazon

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D9L ($54.95)
Amazon

Edited by Russ Uno
  • 2 weeks later...

Well after much back and forth I decided to go a different route and bit the bullet, hope it won't come back to bite me.

I went with a Supermicro X13SAE-F board and an i5 13500 CPU (which seems to be the sweet spot) with 2x16 GB ECC RAM Micron/Crucial MTC10C1084S1EC48BR.

It's costing more than I wanted to spend but if it last 10 years, like my current Media server, its worth it.

This will be a more Current System that has all the features I want/need and then some for the future unknowns.

After a ton of research I'm hoping this system will idle at around, maybe a bit more than my current one, which is 36 watts with drives spun down and 72 watts with drives spun up. My Backups server uses a Xeon 1241 and runs about 10 watts higher with the Nvidia P1000 at idle. Hopefully my Adaptec 1430SA SATA Controller will work with this system. Thinking of going with the Noctua NH-D9L cpu cooler..., Or maybe the stock cooler will work, I'm not really pushing this to the limits yet, just running the stock cooler in my current system and even pushing it the cpu stays cool according to IPMI sensor readings.

Parts are ordered, except for the cooler, CPU came in today.