Is it good idea to buy spare motherboard?

Maybe if you were running a traditional RAID array and using the onboard controller bu that logic does not apply to unRAID. UnRAID can be run on just about any MB. I've swapped my MB 4 times in the past year without any hiccups. If your MB fails just get another one that is compatible with unRAID. A bigger thing to be worried about is a failed flash drive. That's why I keep a backup copy of my unraid flash drive offline.

I'm talking about X9SCL+-F not some cheap mobo here. The limiting factor will be as always LAN card speed. I doubt even after 5 years we will use fiber at our homes because of the fiber optic cable must be welded together using super expensive equipment thing.

I havent' had CPU or RAM fail, but have had several mobos fail, so given the fact that I will not need to upgrade my CPU or RAM, and the fact that we will run 4TB hard drives as minimum on unraid in a year I doubt that I need to upgrade my box for 10years. Yes thats 10 years. After all it is a NAS box nothing more. I plan on 6HDD unraid + 2 4TB USB HDD's for offline storage in the same box.

But I would hate the fact that I cant find this X9SCL+-F mobo 3 years from now :( the logic is I rather pay for spare mobo then to buy CPU,RAM,MOBO when one of them fails. That will be more expensive and will not lead to greater speed.

Is this a mission critical server? If so, then the spare part expenditure is worthwhile.

If not, for the price you pay now, there will be something better later.

If your motherboards are failing that often, then there's something else wrong.

It may need review or expenditure in environmental support, Fans, UPS, High Quality PSU.

I've never had a motherboard fail other then age related capacitor drying.

If this spare motherboard will be idle for many years, the chances of that situation cropping up on the spare are close to what the original mobo may have.

In addition there will always be the used market later.

besides, you may find later on that you do want to expand, switch to ESXi or something else.

I would wait unless you are going to get a very sweet deal on the spare mobo.

In my case, I have PCI-X boards, so I bought a spare motherboard used via eBay for 1/3rd of the retail price.

That's my benchmark for spare parts.

two USB key's for unRAID.

1 cache drive the size of my parity drive.

motherboard if you have a specialized configuration and the price is very low.

Personally. I would say don't bother. The trend is fast, better, cheaper. In the computer business. By this time next year, there will probably be a better mobo and CPU for less. 

It is not cost effective to buy a spare mobo to shelf if.  If you are buying another server to have a second server, then it makes a lot of sence to buy matching servers. 

Personally I am running 3 x9scm's at home and I do have a spare in a box only because I got all four open box at about half off. I will most likely use the fourth or sell it off/give it away.

I would not pay around $200 for a spare motherboard for a home server.

Why that motherboard? What will the server be used for besides storage.

There is a Supermicro Atom based motherboard with IPMI for about $200, just add memory. I'd bet in a few years there will be an even better motherboard for less money.

Peter

I would not pay around $200 for a spare motherboard for a home server.

Why that motherboard? What will the server be used for besides storage.

There is a Supermicro Atom based motherboard with IPMI for about $200, just add memory. I'd bet in a few years there will be an even better motherboard for less money.

Peter

Nice MB but I need ECC RAM and the only XEON motherboards support that on Intel platform. Also server motherboards a better quality control, better quality. Long term reliability is better.

Sounds like you've already made your decision and with good reasons to back it.

if you have the extra funds then go for it. Maybe later on down the road, you'll build a spare backup server with it.

I would still suggest having two flash keys licensed and a spare drive or cache drive as large as your parity drive.