Noob Moving from Windows: Question about SSD Cache Drive / Array Parity / Etc

expo
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Currently running Drive Pool on a Windows 10 box. Drive Pool duplicates a little over a TB of photos/videos and a couple TB in my media folder. 

My plex server data in appdata is about 50Gb give or take. I understand Unraid is not considered a backup even though I will use it as such.

1. How big of a cache drive should I have and is it ok to use an SSD? I currently use a 500 GB for my C drive on my server and all in I am only using 90GB. From my understanding, I can use the cache drive to store the Plex config files. Is there an advantage to using 2? Is it for parity?

2. Does having a parity drive in my array serve the same function as the duplicate in Drive Pool? (If you lose a drive you haven't lost the drive data)

3. I use resilio sync to back up personal files from PCs to my server. Will that work in UNraid?  Resilio does not have one way backup. Guess I gotta find another app for that. I want the copy to stay on the server even if i delete it in the original location. 

Thanks for the help!

Edited by expo
  • Solution
16 hours ago, expo said:

1. How big of a cache drive should I have and is it ok to use an SSD? I currently use a 500 GB for my C drive on my server and all in I am only using 90GB. From my understanding, I can use the cache drive to store the Plex config files. Is there an advantage to using 2? Is it for parity?

It depend for what you need it but 500Gb should be fine, a seconds device can be added for redundancy.

16 hours ago, expo said:

2. Does having a parity drive in my array serve the same function as the duplicate in Drive Pool? (If you lose a drive you haven't lost the drive data)

Basically yes.

Thanks for the response. Let me know if follow up questions should be in a new post.

I see people scheduling a daily cache move. This server will be mostly for plex and backing up files. Do I need to figure what this cache move is? And if so, can you point me in the direction or what I should be searching for?

Mover is used mostly with any shares set with a pool as primary and the array as secondary, so that any data on the pool gets moved to the array, usually before the it gets full and when the server  is not in use, to not degrade performance, so you just need to schedule it as needed for you workload (Settings - Scheduler)