[Solved] Changing root password makes unRAID GUI disapear?

Hey guys,

First of all i've gotta say that, after experimenting with several products to make a good file server with a "storage pool", unRAID got the prize! This is an amazing piece of software.

Anyways, my problem is that i changed the root password (was blank before) to be able to use ssh, and now the unRAID base GUI doesn't load. It just displays a blank page, no errors whatsoever.

This is the second time this has happened, being that the first time i was still experimenting with it and thought it was something i did wrong. This time i'm sure i didn't mess with something i didn't understand.

One weird thing is that i installed unMENU and that works without problems. (the "unRAID main" doesn't work though)

I _really_ didn't want to start over now, since i've got already a few disk in it.

Any help solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jb

Thank for the reply!

I did what you said and the result is the same.

This was on Firefox6, that i use everyday.

Also i went ahead and tried on IE9 and Chrome15.

On Chrome the error was:

No data received

Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.

Here are some suggestions:

Reload this webpage later.

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

On IE9 the error was:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

It appears you are connected to the Internet, but you might want to try to reconnect to the Internet. 

Retype the address. 

Go back to the previous page.

Most likely causes:

•You are not connected to the Internet.

•The website is encountering problems.

•There might be a typing error in the address.

More information

I think it's worth mentioning that it was the first time i've used IE9 or Chrome to open unMENU or unRAID menu

On Firefox it just displays a blank page.

I'm using unRAID Version: 5.0-beta12a.

Also now that i've restarted the server, i can't find a way to start the array. So now i can't access my files...

This is growing to be a bit of an headache... :(

Help?

Thanks for the reply.

Well that didn't seem to have any effect on the problem at hand...

Any other thoughts?  :)

deleting that file will remove the password.  You should be able to get to the webGUI now assuming you have the correct IP in the web browser.  //tower might now work, especially if you router is trying to help you.

As i mentioned in the first post i can access "unMENU" just fine, so i think we can exclude a connectivity problem.

The problem is that i can't access unRAID menu directly by inputing the server name or by putting the ip address, HOWEVER by putting said server name or ip address :8080, i can access unMENU just fine.

Also in the unMENU option "unRAID Main", i get the frame from unMENU, but on the lower frame where the unRAID menu should appear it just display a blank page. (when i say blank is white, with no text or errors) whatsoever.

Also as i can't access unRAID menu i can't also start the array, making impossible to access my files.

I've delete the "passwd" file from "config" folder, then restarted the server but that didn't produced any changes. All remains as described above.

Having said that, what other details can i post that would be relevant to solve this issue?

If what i'm writing isn't clear please tell me as English isn't my strong point. :)

Thanks.

Edit: the blank page i mention is blank only i firefox. In IE or Chrome it shows errors, like i said in my second post on this thread.

As i mentioned in the first post i can access "unMENU" just fine, so i think we can exclude a connectivity problem.

The problem is that i can't access unRAID menu directly by inputing the server name or by putting the ip address, HOWEVER by putting said server name or ip address :8080, i can access unMENU just fine.

Also in the unMENU option "unRAID Main", i get the frame from unMENU, but on the lower frame where the unRAID menu should appear it just display a blank page. (when i say blank is white, with no text or errors) whatsoever.

Also as i can't access unRAID menu i can't also start the array, making impossible to access my files.

I've delete the "passwd" file from "config" folder, then restarted the server but that didn't produced any changes. All remains as described above.

Having said that, what other details can i post that would be relevant to solve this issue?

If what i'm writing isn't clear please tell me as English isn't my strong point. :)

Thanks.

Edit: the blank page i mention is blank only i firefox. In IE or Chrome it shows errors, like i said in my second post on this thread.

Grab a syslog for us and also run

ps -ef > /boot/ps_output.txt

attach both files to your next post.

And your English is perfectly fine.  Had you now said anything I probably would not have noticed anything at all... hell you speak better English than some/most native English speakers.

Any help please?

By the way, does non-beta versions have any other kind of support, or support to all versions of unRAID is done through this forum?

Thanks.

All support beta/non-beta can go through this forum.

I have not had a chance to look at either file as of yet, will try to later thing morning and post back if no one beats me to it.

If this continues AFTER you get the normal "Main" screen in unRAID working, you need to check for updates in unMENU.  Pretty sure I fixed that issue recently.  (The "main" screen in the 5.X series changed its URL, and until I fixed it, unMENU was still calling the URL name from the 4.X series.)

Just replying to say thanks for posting the solution!

Instead of totally disabling the HTTP checking, I was able to get it to work by adding the ip of my unraid server as an exception under:

Advanced -> Web and Email -> Protocol Filtering -> Excluded IP Addresses

Adding it as a URL exclusion didn't seem to work for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...