Proper isos and system mover settings?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have two unraid servers and while troubleshooting a different issue I noticed that the mover settings for the two servers are not quite the same for these two directories, isos and system.  This seemed odd to me since they are both basically system folders.  I am not having any problems or failures on this, but am a bit confused why things might be different and what the best setup is.  I realize I have the option of choosing these settings regardless of what the defaults might be when building these servers but I am curious what the recommendations on these might be as they are system shares/folders.  I do have cache pools on both servers and I do have two parity drives on each server. 

For the isos folder/share both of my unraid servers are set to Cache----->Array and both have cache as the primary storage.

For the system folder/share one of my unraid servers is set to Cache----->Array and the other is set to Array---->Cache.  Both again have cache as the primary storage.

So, is there a best setup for best performance for this, and if I need to adjust any of these settings is that just a simple switch in the setup for these shares or do I have to do some other work?

• Solution
9 minutes ago, Shesakillatwo said:

For the system folder/share one of my unraid servers is set to Cache----->Array and the other is set to Array---->Cache.  Both again have cache as the primary storage.

To get best performance for docker containers and VMs you want this share to be on the cache (i.e. mover to be array->Cache).    

You can get even better performance if once the whole share is on the cache you remove the secondary storage option and under Settings->Global Share settings you enable the option for Exclusive Shares as this bypasses the Fuse layer in Unraid that is otherwise used to manage User Shares.

So can I just go into the isos and system share settings and change them from what they are now to Array---->Cache without doing anything else?  Then just wait till mover runs and then go under Settings->Global Share settings and enable the option for Exclusive Shares???  Sorry, somewhat of a newbie and do not want to cause other issues....

13 minutes ago, Shesakillatwo said:

So can I just go into the isos and system share settings and change them from what they are now to Array---->Cache without doing anything else?  Then just wait till mover runs and then go under Settings->Global Share settings and enable the option for Exclusive Shares???  Sorry, somewhat of a newbie and do not want to cause other issues....

I left out one important detail - you need to temporarily have Docker and VM services disabled under Settings as mover will not move open files and those services keep some files open.   You can run Mover manually by using the button at the bottom of the Main tab.

You also need to remove the secondary storage entry for the Exclusive Share option to be available for that particular share.

The process is described here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.