Share Saying Out of Disk Space

taros14

Hi All,

I hear n00b tossed around a lot, and I will do the same. I am a n00b when it comes to this stuff, but I was hearing such great things about unRAID I had to give it a go. I had a friend of mine give me all the specs and hardware I needed and I am now running unRAID Pro 5.0b12a on a Norco 4220.

There were a lot of hiccups along the way, luckily though none resulted in Data loss only the loss of my temper and a few drops of blood. Everything seems to be working fine now, I have Sickbeard and SabNZB running on it correctly and my home network with all my Media Devices can see it fine. My parity has returned with 0 errors after finding over 17k because of a bad USB Stick which I re-scanned and fixed in Windows (pause for linux users gasp).

The problem I am having now is that I have a couple of Shares created (Movies, TV Shows, Wii Games, etc.) that are all set to Fill-Up, but they don't seem to be doing that at all. I have Six 2TB Drives in the Server, One for parity and the rest for Storage. However, when trying to move over all my TV Shows, Movies, etc. from my home computer, I am only able to use one Disk.

The other 4 Storage Disks are there, and unMenu and the unRAID Menu both see them. It even says I have 8TB Free Space on my shares, but when I try to copy anything over, I get Not enough Disk Space. I am really not sure what is going on as I stated above I am a n00b.

Troubleshooting Steps I have tried:

- New Parity Check

- Format USB and reinstall unRAID

- Scan and fix USB

- Change Share setting to High-Water or Most-Free

- Reboot Server (several times as I was adding quieter fans)

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

taros14

Thanks for the help. I have the Min Free Space Setting set to 0 and Split Level set to 2 (as this is what my friend had set it to for me).

I read through what Split Level means and I believe I am on the right on level for that. Do you suggest changing the Min Free Space?

Regards,

taros14

EDIT: It seems to only be using disk 1, as that has 0 TBs free, but the rest have 2 TBs free each.

If your share is set as \mystuff\media\movies Then split 2 will try and put all movies onto drive one.

So check that and also it is best to have the min free space slightly larger the the largest file you will copy over.

If your biggest file is a 9gig DVD iso, set it for 10 gigs.

Thanks for your help also. I changed the Split Level to blank, and changed the Min Free Space to 10. I did a reboot, and still no luck :(

I am hoping to resolve this quickly as I am selling my computer and need to get my Shows off my Hard Drive. I also have a bunch of downloads pending, but I understand if this is not a quick fix.

I do appreciate the suggestions though!

Regards,

taros14

Thanks for your help also. I changed the Split Level to blank, and changed the Min Free Space to 10. I did a reboot, and still no luck :(

I am hoping to resolve this quickly as I am selling my computer and need to get my Shows off my Hard Drive. I also have a bunch of downloads pending, but I understand if this is not a quick fix.

I do appreciate the suggestions though!

Regards,

taros14

Blank is NOT what you want if I remember correctly, set it to 3 and see what happens.

Blank means you will create the folders and then unRAID can use those.

Min Free Space is entered in Kb.  Wit ha setting of 10, unraid will continue to write to the drive until it has only 10Kb free.  Now, if you are trying to write a file larger than 10Kb, unraid will put it on the full drive (so long it has more than 10Kb free), but it will run out of space.  You should set the Min Free Space to be larger than the average file size you are trying to write to the share.

Thanks Zeron, I set the Min Free Space to 700MB (716800) but still no luck.

Because your split level and/or allocation method is not correct for the share and directory structure you've created.

I do apologize dgaschk, but I am very new to this and have no idea what the settings should be. Should I just move back over my files, drop the Share and re-create a new one? I would have to do this for all of them as all of my Shares are acting the same way.

Regards,

taros14

Thanks Zeron, I set the Min Free Space to 700MB (716800) but still no luck.

Because your split level and/or allocation method is not correct for the share and directory structure you've created.

I do apologize dgaschk, but I am very new to this and have no idea what the settings should be. Should I just move back over my files, drop the Share and re-create a new one? I would have to do this for all of them as all of my Shares are acting the same way.

Regards,

taros14

Give us some screen shots, a syslog, and the directory structure you have.  This guess check and revise is not working.

and read here.

Unless the file you are trying to copy is larger then 716800kb and is not nested deeper then 4 folders deep, that should be fine.

The only other issue could be the space in the share name.

Go to \\tower\disk2 and manually create a folder "TV Shows" in the same case as it is on disk1. Then reboot. See if that fixes the issue

Also the auto parity check was because it thinks the server was not properly shut down.

So the user share is called "TV Shows Folder"??? Just checking because that not a typical user share name.

You need to post the complete structure from the user share name down if this isn't representative of that.

You also need to post your desired disk by disk structure. For example, if you want each season to remain grouped on a single disk or if you want each series to remain grouped on a single disk or if you don't care what files go where.

Generally speaking, my advice is to NEVER, EVER use fill-up unless you completely and fully understand how these share settings work and the consequences of each setting. You will end up here with a "disk full" error when you don't fully understand the settings. The main thing is that you must have a split level high enough that a file will never ever get forced to a certain disk or the fill-up method will fail to work one day and you must have a proper minimum free space setting.

I also recommend you don't try to be cute and pick a free space that is "just enough". Try about 5gig or 10gig - 5000000 or 10000000 assuming you're only storing ~700meg files.

You will likely have to go into the share and delete the empty folders and partly created data off the full disk before it will work.

Peter

Thanks for all the explanations and suggestions. I will try increasing the minimum free space to 5GB and should I change to Most-Free or High-Water then?

I also installed the Power Down plugin so as to not hurt my unRAID Server anymore. I do appreciate all the suggestions and help and patience with this, this seems like a great community :)

Regards,

taros14

PS - I will post back my results later when I am at my house.

Well, it will be awhile before I can test out my Share Settings. I went home to turn on my Server after giving it some downtime, and it sparked and smoked. 4 of my Hard Drives died (due to short circuit from 2 of them) and it also fried my SATA Connectors on my NORCO 4220U for the Top Row. I now am going to be paying over $100 for shipping the NORCO Case back, and the Hard Drives. However, only 2 of my Hard Drives are covered by the reseller (the 2 that Short Circuited) and so I am hopefully going to get Seagate to honour their Warranty and replace my other 2 Hard Drives.

Lost:

-600GB+ of Movies

-400GB+ of Wii Games

-500GB+ of TV Shows (luckily still had most on my Desktop)

Thanks for everyones suggestions, but I am not the bearer of good luck ....

-taros14  :'(

Archived