no boot - (4) disk M.2 NVMe card support

I have a working setup (UNRAID v6.12.4 - latest) with an older M5A99FX PRO R2.0 mobo (AM3+ socket) [PDF manual], and I'm trying to replace cache HHDs with NVMe to free up precious real estate in my 4U chassis. When I add PCIe cards for NVMe disks, I'm having a ton of issues, and I'm most after a 4+ NVMe card that boots and recognized all disks.

I have 2 cards and both boot fine in a different chassis setup with a different OS, so I know they work but trying to figure out if it's a hardware or software issue.

1. SuperMicro AOC-SHG3-4M2P (full height PCIe 3.0, x8, 4 M.2 disks, $200 new) :: halts boot without any disk
  2. Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 (low-profile PCIe 3.0, x8, 2 M.2 disks, $60 new) :: boots OK in this unraid setup but only picks up 1 of 2 disks

Page 21 in mobo PDF (1-7) shows I've just tried the bottom slot ("PCIEX16_4") with empty disks and 1 disk at each slot, then 2 disks at each slot combos. I've tried to attach the pic below too.

NVMe is very new to me, and I read about bifurcation but don't understand it well. Do these cards need the equivalent of "IT Mode" put on them to boot best or is there a hardware compatibility issue with my mobo?

The other 3 cards I have on PCIe are:

1. HBA LSI SAS-9207-8e (PCIe 3.0, x8, IT Mode, $50 used)
  2. LSI SAS-9201-8i (PCIe 2.0, x8, IT Mode, $50 used)
  3. LSI SAS-9201-8i (PCIe 2.0, x8, IT Mode, $50 used)

image.png.988fcee91879c3ba277dee9d3158d1f3.png

Edited by AndersT
screwed up which card boots and which doesn't
4 hours ago, AndersT said:

Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 (PCIe 3.0, x8, 2 M.2 disks, $60 new) :: halts boot without any disk

This one requires PCIe bifurcation which I doubt your board supports.

4 hours ago, AndersT said:

SuperMicro AOC-SHG3-4M2P (PCIe 3.0, 4 M.2 disks, $200 new) :: boots OK in this unraid setup but only picks up 1 of 2 disks

This one from what I can see has a PLX chip, so it should work in any board, post diags with this one with two or more NVMe devices installed to see if there's something there.