120 GB OCZ Vertex Plus SSD - $109.99 after MIR

Rajahal

I too have some older OCZ SSDs (Vertex 1 I believe) that have been very reliable.  As always, I only recommend budget SSDs for non-critical purposes, such as a cache drive or the boot drive of an HTPC.  If you use an SSD for critical data, have a solid backup plan and stick to it.

the question is,

what is the temp reading on these drives? the sata3 versions register at 127c. unRAID is not happy with that number.

And yes the sata3 version are horrid. i have 2 vertex3 and 2 agility3's and they just randomly drop out of the bios in the middle of use about 1 to 2 times a day.. in 3 different PC's. i have to unplug the PC's from the wall to reset them. Fast yes, Stable, no. I wish I never bought them.

i also have 2 solid3's in my ESXi box that so far have only dropped once in the last month in 24x7 use.

I have the older OCZ vertex, vertex turbo and agility still in use.

After seeing all the bad reviews of the later OCZ vertex's I stopped buying SSD's until I see things level out.

If I were to buy one today, I think I would go intel. In fact I almost did the other day.

The Crucial M4 drives are also very good right now. I believe the Micron C400 is the same drive.

OCZ = terrible reliability.

Terrible reviews on Newegg.

Maybe for the new drives but I have three of these older ones with NO problems.  Got them almost a year ago now.

That has slightly better reviews, but still a ton of people with problems. There are plenty of non-Sandforce drives that are around the same price. You must have been lucky.

Reviews from last november and earlier were mostly favorable - better then now anyway.  Think they have gone downhill since then!

I have two Vertex III 120GB in RAID 0 as my system boot drive for Windows 7 64-bit on an Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard.  I do experience crashes every 2-3 weeks with the computer on 24x7 and sleep enabled.  Hard to say what is the root cause between the Intel P67 chipset and the new Sandforce controllers.  After all, the Intel Sandybridge did have a major recall when it came out.

The unfortunate thing is the OCZ forum is filled with guesses and not facts.  You have users there claiming stability when their system does not crash after a day or a week.  To me, it is stable only if there are no unknown crashes after several months or a year.

I have two Vertex III 120GB in RAID 0 as my system boot drive for Windows 7 64-bit on an Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard.  I do experience crashes every 2-3 weeks with the computer on 24x7 and sleep enabled.  Hard to say what is the root cause between the Intel P67 chipset and the new Sandforce controllers.  After all, the Intel Sandybridge did have a major recall when it came out.

The unfortunate thing is the OCZ forum is filled with guesses and not facts.  You have users there claiming stability when they system does not crash after a day or a week.  To me, it is stable only if there are no unknown crashes after several months or a year.

I have them on 2 p67 boards one C204 and one old lga775 board. By the fact it disappears from the bios, I'll blame the SSD. When running crucial or intel SSDs on the same boards, they have no issues at all.

But this is getting off topic and the sata3 versions, not the sata2

My SSDs have been running without a hitch since I bought them.  No I can't say I haven't rebooted the 3 machines that have them as boot drives.  I did driver updates, new software installs,  problems with Colossus drivers and SageTV requiring a nightly reboot on one system,  shutting down the systems to allow an exterminator access to the house, etc.  But when they were up (sometimes for 3 or more months) they never have any problems.  All 3 are running Win7 x64 Ultimate - 2 are on SuperMicro X7SBE MB the other is on a P5Q-EM all with a Quad core (Q6600, Q6700, Q9550s) processors.

Archived