APCUPSD 3.14.10 Plugin for unRAID 5b11+

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you thank thank you!!  its up and running.

one more question - is there documentation on the available settings?

I have an APC Back-UPS RS 1500 connected via USB.

UPS Cable: usb

UPS Type: usb  is this the correct settign for my UPS?

Device: is this just a description that i type in??

Battery Level: I assume this is the battery level threshold so it reaches this percentage and triggers a shutdown?

Minutes - I assume this is th enumber of minutes after being on batter power before ittriggers a shutdown?

Timeout:  not sure what this is

Kill UPS: what does this mean?

thanks!

Battery Level: I assume this is the battery level threshold so it reaches this percentage and triggers a shutdown?

Minutes - I assume this is th enumber of minutes after being on batter power before ittriggers a shutdown?

thanks!

Good Good  ;D

I just leave mine on all the default settings.  Seems to work just fine!

thanks!

Look here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15583.msg231304#msg231304

complain to the plugin author that their screen is incomplete without the descriptions.

Joe L.

I'm running this apcupsd 3.14.10 plugin and, for the most part, it works very well.  However, this evening, on a whim, I went to check the current apcupsd status.  To my dismay, I found that it was stopped.

I restarted from the web configuration interface, and it started up with no apparent problem

A quick search of the logfile found the following:

Apr  7 04:10:25 Tower kernel: mdcmd (109): spindown 2
Apr  7 04:40:01 Tower apcupsd[6257]: apcupsd exiting, signal 15
Apr  7 04:40:01 Tower apcupsd[1405]: Valid lock file for pid=6257, but not ours pid=1405 
Apr  7 04:40:01 Tower apcupsd[1405]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in apcupsd.c at line 285 Failed to acquire device lock file 
Apr  7 04:40:01 Tower apcupsd[1405]: Valid lock file for pid=6257, but not ours pid=1405 
Apr  7 04:40:01 Tower apcupsd[1405]: apcupsd error shutdown completed
Apr  7 04:40:02 Tower kernel: apcupsd[6257]: segfault at c0c02d24 ip 0805e22e sp bfbef500 error 7 in apcupsd[8048000+38000]
Apr  7 05:30:43 Tower kernel: mdcmd (110): spindown 2

So, it seems that the daemon failed with signal 15 at 4:40 in the morning.  Now, I wasn't up at that time to be fiddling with the system.  The prior actvity recorded in the logfile was an innocuous spindown thirty minutes earlier.  What is a signal 15, and what caused it?

It seems that the daemon then attempted to restart itself, but failed because the lockfile from the previous instance was still present.  As the daemon shut itself down, it segfaulted - might this be deliberate, or is it a bug?

So, it would be good to track down the cause of signal 15 and prevent it occurring. The autorestart is a smart idea - shame it fails because of the lockfile ... any way round this?

My system configuration is detailed in my .sig.

I'm running this apcupsd 3.14.10 plugin and, for the most part, it works very well.  However, this evening, on a whim, I went to check the current apcupsd status.  To my dismay, I found that it was stopped.

I restarted from the web configuration interface, and it started up with no apparent problem

A quick search of the logfile found the following:

Apr  7 04:10:25 Tower kernel: mdcmd (109): spindown 2
Apr  7 04:40:01 Tower apcupsd[6257]: apcupsd exiting, signal 15
Apr  7 04:40:01 Tower apcupsd[1405]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in apcupsd.c at line 285 Failed to acquire device lock file 
Apr  7 04:40:01 Tower apcupsd[1405]: apcupsd error shutdown completed
Apr  7 04:40:02 Tower kernel: apcupsd[6257]: segfault at c0c02d24 ip 0805e22e sp bfbef500 error 7 in apcupsd[8048000+38000]
Apr  7 05:30:43 Tower kernel: mdcmd (110): spindown 2

So, it seems that the daemon failed with signal 15 at 4:40 in the morning.  Now, I wasn't up at that time to be fiddling with the system.  The prior actvity recorded in the logfile was an innocuous spindown thirty minutes earlier.  What is a signal 15, and what caused it?

It seems that the daemon then attempted to restart itself, but failed because the lockfile from the previous instance was still present.  As the daemon shut itself down, it segfaulted - might this be deliberate, or is it a bug?

So, it would be good to track down the cause of signal 15 and prevent it occurring. The autorestart is a smart idea - shame it fails because of the lockfile ... any way round this?

My system configuration is detailed in my .sig.

Peter,

I can't offer any help or advice as I don't have a UPS for my Unraid box yet - but am planning to get one shortly, hence following this thread.

In case you haven't seen it, I came across this thread - http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16537.0 doesn't shed much light I'm afraid, but thought it might be of interest.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

maybe the wrong place to ask, but I'll try my luck anyway:

I want to make sure I'll get email notification when there's a power event.

Using SimpleFeatures 1.0.11 email plugin, tried running "mail -s 'unRAID_Server_UPS_Alert' root" but got an "mail: command not found" error.

I guess it's a problem with SimpleFeatures email plugin, but can never know...

I think I'll switch back to 3.14.3 for now.

Out of interest - can anyone summarize what advantages 3.14.10 has over 3.14.3?  I installed it as it was the latest, rather than for any other reason.

Well, log rotation was introduced in 3.14.8!  ;)

I found a changelog here.

I think I'll switch back to 3.14.3 for now.

I've developed modifications to the plugin which work around the problem of the daemon stopping as a result of log rotation. I've been attempting to perform final test for the last three weekends.  My problem is that log rotation isn't performed unless the daemon has been running for a certain minimum length of time but, with almost daily power cuts, I cannot keep my system running for long enough.

Is there anyone prepared to install my version of the plugin in order to test?  All I need to prove that my modification has worked is an excerpt from the system log from 04:40 to 04:42 on Sunday morning.

Using SimpleFeatures 1.0.11 email plugin, tried running "mail -s 'unRAID_Server_UPS_Alert' root" but got an "mail: command not found" error.

simplefeatures does NOT install mail. It installs ssmtp, a simple mail transfer program.

simplefeatures does NOT install mail. It installs ssmtp, a simple mail transfer program.

Any idea how to solve this ?

thanks

thanks

either change apcupsd to not invoke mail, or install mail.

thanks

any instructions on installing mai parallel to the SimpleFeatures email plugins ?

don't want to use the unMENU version due to it installing a conflicting version of openssl...

thanks

any instructions on installing mai parallel to the SimpleFeatures email plugins ?

don't want to use the unMENU version due to it installing a conflicting version of openssl...

Try downloading the mailx package, put it in the /boot/extra folder.

midir -p  /boot/extra

cd /boot/extra

wget http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/n/mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz

Then just reboot.  (of if you do not want to reboot, you can type)

installpkg /boot/extra/mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz

thanks

midir -p  /boot/extra

cd /boot/extra

wget http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/n/mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz

:-(

"/usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory"

Hi,

I need some help with unmenu and apcupsd. I have bought and installed new APC Back-UPS 550 Pro, enabled apcups plugin in the unmenu (left all settings default) and made a test: pluged-out power cable from socket, UPS went into battery mode, after some time unraid-server shut itself down. Everything is fine.

Now when I plug power cable back into socket, nothing happens - server does not restart by itself. How can I force it to restart on power-on? I have set in the MB BIOS that the server should start on power restore...

Also I noticed that after unraid server clean powerdown, UPS did not shutdown...it was still on battery mode only remaining time on UPS screen went up...

Do I need to make any changes with UPS itself?

Thanks

thanks

midir -p  /boot/extra

cd /boot/extra

you might be able to link /usr/sbin/ssmtp to /usr/sbin/sendmail  and have it work.  (it is that way on my server)

ln /usr/sbin/ssmtp /usr/sbin/sendmail

(you can also add that line to the end of the /boot/config/go script )

Note: you might need to adjust the above command if ssmtp is installed elsewhere other than /usr/sbin.

thanks

midir -p  /boot/extra

cd /boot/extra

you might be able to link /usr/sbin/ssmtp to /usr/sbin/sendmail  and have it work.  (it is that way on my server)

ln /usr/sbin/ssmtp /usr/sbin/sendmail

(you can also add that line to the end of the /boot/config/go script )

Note: you might need to adjust the above command if ssmtp is installed elsewhere other than /usr/sbin.

10x

that did the trick :-)

Hi,

I need some help with unmenu and apcupsd. I have bought and installed new APC Back-UPS 550 Pro, enabled apcups plugin in the unmenu (left all settings default) and made a test: pluged-out power cable from socket, UPS went into battery mode, after some time unraid-server shut itself down. Everything is fine.

Now when I plug power cable back into socket, nothing happens - server does not restart by itself. How can I force it to restart on power-on? I have set in the MB BIOS that the server should start on power restore...

Also I noticed that after unraid server clean powerdown, UPS did not shutdown...it was still on battery mode only remaining time on UPS screen went up...

Do I need to make any changes with UPS itself?

Thanks

Sounds like you have the BIOS set correctly.  You must also have the option set properly on the apcupsd cnfiguration to power off the UPS after a power down.    (It will typically stay running a few minutes after the server is instructed to shut down, to give it some time to shut down cleanly)

You can change that from the unMENU package manager screen that configures that specific package.

Joe L.