APCUPSD 3.14.10 Plugin for unRAID 5b11+

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try setting both cable and type to USB, and leave the device field empty, and enable it.

First, thank you for taking the time to respond and help.  :) 

I tried that several times, but just for fun I just did it again, here is the syslog lines,

Aug 3 23:35:18 Tower apcupsd[9368]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in linux-usb.c at line 609 Cannot find UPS device -- For a link to detailed USB trouble shooting information, please see .

Aug 3 23:35:18 Tower apcupsd[9368]: apcupsd error shutdown completed

Aug 3 23:35:22 Tower kernel: hdparm: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition!

Aug 3 23:35:22 Tower kernel: hdparm: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition!

Aug 3 23:35:22 Tower kernel: smartctl: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition!

I've now tried two know to be good APC RJ45 to USB cables to my Back-UPS 600 NS, didn't work.

The main part that has me at a loss is when I first connected this new UPS, it was all good.  All I did was power down and relocate my server back into my office, not changing anything.  I figured perhaps I trashed a cable some how but the spare proved that was not it.  I tried different USB ports, no help.  I also tried powering everything back off and unplugging it, then reconnecting everything, same result.  I just don't understand why it worked the first time and now it won't see the UPS.

I will try going back to v5 rc5 tomorrow and see if that does anything.  That is the only change I made, v5 rc6 TEST.  The server is running completely normal otherwise.

Any other ideas?

Going back to rc5 seems a good idea. You could also try to re-install the apcupsd package, have you tried that?

When upgrading unraid versions, i'm told it is best to first disable or uninstall all apps and plugins, do the upgrade, and install al the apps and plugins again. This could be one of those cases.

I'm running Apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-3dl.plg, which is located at /boot/config/plugins.

For UPS cable: and UPS type: both are set for usb.

Other than the changes I mention above (which just change the displayed wording), I didn't do anything special, just put it in the folder, and ran

installplg /boot/config/plugins/Apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-3dl.plg

and everything worked fine.  I did this before upgrading to the latest RC version (5.0-rc6-r8168-test2), and when I restarted after upgrading, it started fine upon startup, so I didn't have to install it manually

well this continues to suck ass!  No go, even went back to v5 rc5, same result.  Deleted the APCconfig directory and packages dir and installed fresh, still no luck.  It is like my server doesn't like my USB ports anymore. 

I'm using Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv.plg

I've attached the syslog with v5 rc6 test.

I did try 3 other USB ports on my server, just incase, no help.

I'm sure this is in the log too, but I see the following error on the screen of my server, "apcupsd: no process..goes off the screen... then under that I see, Error contacting apcupsd @localhost:3551:Connection refused"

UPDATE:  Ok, just tried going back to my old UPS.  I have a APC Backups RS 1000 that is very old, and  after connecting that back up the plugin works perfect!  So, for some reason it's looking to be my brand new APC UPS Backups 600 NS is not happy with Unraid plugin.  That said, I could sware that it worked just fine the first time I plugged it in.  Perhaps the data port on this new UPS is just not good.

Given the old ups works perfect re this plugin, I think we can call the issue my new UPS.  Will report back once I replace the ups again. 

syslog-20120804-075431_unraidv5rc6test.zip

Ok final update on this one.  It actually was the data port on the brand new UPS.  Perhaps I accidently pulled on the cable while it was plugged in, although I don't recall doing that.  With all the ups's I've owned, this is a first for me.

In any case I returned the ups for a new one and it works perfect.  Shows I have 40+ min run time.

I'm happy again because I have ups protection.  I do hope the auto shutdown scripts work and I would like to test that.

I am about to upgrade my server to unRAID v5 (latest beta version - RC6).

I have an APC UPS working good with unRAID v4.7 - automatic powerdown.

Is this APCUPSD version working properly?

- Does it automatically shutdown server upon powerdown?

- Does it work with SimpleFeatures?

- Do I have to install anything other than the APCUPSD plugin for automatic shutdown?

I am about to upgrade my server to unRAID v5 (latest beta version - RC6).

I have an APC UPS working good with unRAID v4.7 - automatic powerdown.

Is this APCUPSD version working properly?

- Does it automatically shutdown server upon powerdown?

- Does it work with SimpleFeatures?

- Do I have to install anything other than the APCUPSD plugin for automatic shutdown?

Yes, Yes, not related to Simplefeatures, as it's as separate plugin, and for your last question, No.

One question for you - did you bother to read this thread?

For those of you who don't want to spend 90 minutes figuring out how to set this plugin up, here are config variables that worked for me. I am using a UPS SmartUPS with a USB connection.

Enable APC UPS Daemon: Yes

UPS Cable: USB

UPS Type:   USB

Device: /dev/usb/hiddev0

Battery Level: 10

Minutes: 10

Timeout: 300

Kill UPS: No

Show Full Status: Yes

When you run it, you get the following return:

APC UPS Status

APC 001,025,0630

DATE Mon Aug 13 02:24:12 CDT 2012

HOSTNAME unRAID

RELEASE 3.14.3

VERSION 3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware

UPSNAME unRAID

CABLE USB Cable

MODEL Smart-UPS 1500

UPSMODE Stand Alone

STARTTIME Mon Aug 13 02:24:10 CDT 2012

STATUS ONLINE

BCHARGE 100.0 Percent

TIMELEFT 53.0 Minutes

MBATTCHG 10 Percent

MINTIMEL 10 Minutes

MAXTIME 300 Seconds

ALARMDEL Always

NUMXFERS 0

TONBATT 0 seconds

CUMONBATT 0 seconds

XOFFBATT N/A

STATFLAG 0x07000008 Status Flag

SERIALNO     #############

FIRMWARE UPS 06.5 / ID=18

APCMODEL Smart-UPS 1500

END APC Mon Aug 13 02:24:16 CDT 2012

This seems to work for me. It took me quite some time to figure out because this thread seems to expect you to have a lot of familiarity with the apcupsd program.

If anyone has anything to add, please do.

Enable APC UPS Daemon: Yes

UPS Cable: USB

I have this set to 'smart'

UPS Type:   USB

Device: /dev/usb/hiddev0

My device string is blank.

Battery Level: 10

Minutes: 10

Timeout: 300

These settings are a matter of personal preference, depending on the ups rating and the load presented.

If you want your unRAID server to start up again after power returns, this should be set to 'Yes'.  In any case, it is not good to allow the ups battery to become completely depleted, so it is recommended that you turn the ups off after all the loads have been closed down.

I have set this up with the gui front end of my second server which is slaved off the main one and it works fine. I cannot get it to work on my main server though as it cannot see the device. My setup is not "normal" as i have a serial UPS but as my Unraid server does not have a serial connection i was able to get a serial to USB cable from APC. To get this to function i had to assign the USB to a connection (not sure of the details now as it was some time ago) and so this has /USB/ttyUSB0 as the connection in unmenu plugin currently. I have tried every combination i can think of to get this set up in this plg but it does not see the UPS. I know the UPS is fine as on my second server everything looks fine and when i removed the plugin and went back to my old unmenu plg it worked. Maybe i just leave it well alone !

Anyone else have this kind of configuration (Serial to USB) and if so how did you get it to work with this plugin?

Yeah this seems to work either way. Don't know that it makes a difference.

As above.

If you want your unRAID server to start up again after power returns, this should be set to 'Yes'.  In any case, it is not good to allow the ups battery to become completely depleted, so it is recommended that you turn the ups off after all the loads have been closed down.

Thanks for the tip. Again, I think this is a good place to be putting this information so people know how to configure their devices.

Yeah this seems to work either way. Don't know that it makes a difference.

As above.

Thanks for the tip. Again, I think this is a good place to be putting this information so people know how to configure their devices.

It is described a lot more clearly in the unMENU package manager's description of apcupsd:

Note: If you elect to not power down the UPS, the server may not detect when power is eventually restored, and will not start until you press its power button. In addition, the UPS will run until its batteries are depleted, rather than attempt to conserve its batteries.

For this reason, most users will want to set Power Down UPS after shutdown? = YES

If Power Down UPS after shutdown? = NO, the UPS will not power down. You only want this if the UPS is also powering other equipment that must stay powered after the unRAID server is shut down.

Joe L.

I dropped apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv.plg into /boot/config/plugins then rebooted... I could not find the plugin on the settings page so I sent the telnet command "installplg /boot/config/plugins/apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-1atv.plg" and received this error:

root@Inara:/boot/config/plugins# installplg /boot/config/plugins/apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-1atv.plg
installing plugin: apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-1atv

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-1atv.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13
xml parse error

What did I do wrong? I'm running beta 14

I'm a new user - just installed unRAID yesterday.

I have the same Problem with that Plugin - any idea?

I am using the 3rd one in your list below and have had 0 problems with it, even saved a parity check one night as it shut down everything correctly during a power outage.....

Myk

I've installed the plugin from the Wiki, and pulling the power from my UPS shuts down my server after 300 seconds.

But, the server doesn't seem to start when the power is returned to the APC UPS? I've sset Kill UPS to YES.

Also, the documentation states that an email will be sent to root when powered down, but how do I get it to send it to my email? I used Simple Features, and have setup Email Notifications in that, but doesn't seem to integrate with the apcupsd.

Now I feel stupid, I need to make sure the BIOS is set to power on upon USB power :P

Gotta look for that this weekend when I can reboot the server... Silly me  :o

I don't know that you're looking for power on upon USB power, the BIOS setting you're looking for is how your computer behaves when power is restored.  The options are usually: Power On, Power Off, Last State.  At least that's how I configured my BIOS, and it works.

As a Brit, the meaning to me is that a blackout is when the power cuts off completely and brownout is when the voltage drops, such that the lights dim.

However, here in Philippines, it depends on how wide an area is affected by a power cut.  Brownout only affects one locality, blackout affects a large area.

works great in 5 RC6 with an APC Back-UPS 700.. well, not the %Load but its a UPS issue.

Today I test powerdown and no problems. Perfect Log.

Also I test remote info in Mountain Lion and working in a couple minutes.  ;D

All this, after I return a Riello USB UPS that I could´t make it work at all, not only in apcupsd, in ML.

In a couple of days I´ll try kill-ups to powerdown and restart after poweron ups.

Captura_de_pantalla_2012-08-31_a_las_00_36_19.png.be34f02bc498c652a946a66a94d15829.png