APCUPSD 3.14.10 Plugin for unRAID 5b11+

get the plg file from this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15583.msg222849#msg222849

drop it in the plugins folder and restart unraid (it will automatically download the package and install)

then you can change the settings and enable through the webgui

you can also install it manually without a restart. for that see the wiki article here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Install_plugins

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, so I connected my APC Pro 1000 unit to my unraid running v5-RC8A

I clicked on "enable" and it appears to be seeing the backup just fine. But I am unable to change any of the settings nor do I know what they mean...

For example, how do I set it up so that unraid safely shuts down after say 5 minutes of no power?

Also, can you guys recommend a time period? I will eventually have 15 7200RPM drives running so I want to make sure I pick an adequate time before the battery backup runs out of juice.

I am attaching a screen shot here, thanks so much!

APC.JPG

Hey guys, so I connected my APC Pro 1000 unit to my unraid running v5-RC8A

I clicked on "enable" and it appears to be seeing the backup just fine. But I am unable to change any of the settings nor do I know what they mean...

For example, how do I set it up so that unraid safely shuts down after say 5 minutes of no power?

Also, can you guys recommend a time period? I will eventually have 15 7200RPM drives running so I want to make sure I pick an adequate time before the battery backup runs out of juice.

I am attaching a screen shot here, thanks so much!

APC.JPG

Whoever wrote the plugin apparently forgot to include the information that the unMENU .conf file provides.  The labels and additional information on the SimpleFeatures plugin setup screen are inadequate in my opinion:

On the unMENU package, the fields are labeled:

Battery Level:

Shutdown will occur when percentage charge remaining is less than this level.

Minutes  Remaining: "Minutes" on your screen.

Shutdown will occur when remaining runtime reaches this value.

Total Seconds Outage :   "Timeout" on your screen.

If outage (in seconds) exceeds this value, a shutdown will occur.

Power Down UPS after shutdown?(YES/NO):   (Kill UPS" on your screen.,

If YES the UPS will power itself off after the server is powered down. This allows it to save its batteries. If NO, the UPS will not power down.

Note: If you elect to not power down the UPS, the server may not detect when power is eventually restored, and will not start until you press its power button. In addition, the UPS will run until its batteries are depleted, rather than attempt to conserve its batteries. For this reason, most users will want to set Power Down UPS after shutdown? = YES

If Power Down UPS after shutdown? = NO, the UPS will not power down. You only want this if the UPS is also powering other equipment that must stay powered after the unRAID server is shut down.

Oh yes, you already have it set to start a shutdown at 5 minutes (300 seconds)  unless your battery charge is under 10% or the remaining runtime is less than 10 minutes.  In those situations, the server will initiate a shutdown even if less than 5 minutes have elapsed.

But I am unable to change any of the settings nor do I know what they mean...

In order to change the settings, Set Enable APC UPS daemon to No, then click apply.

Then you can change the parameters, as Joe L has explained them, then Apply.

Then set Enable APC UPS daemon to Yes, then click apply.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a copy of 3.14.10 up until the other day when I deleted it as I reverted to 3.14.3 after seeing SeeDrs had mentioned the later version was known to stop polling the UPS. 

Seems like it's tricky to find a version of 3.14.10 in package form.  Even pkgs.org has a broken link to a version.  So for now I've compiled it from source.  I don't think SeeDrs does anything to the package as such.  All his work is done from within the plugin code.

So if it helps, here's a few links;

SeeDrs 3.14.3 plugin (which uses the earlier version but has valid source URLs) - Apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-3dl.plg

SeeDrs 3.14.10 plugin file (which I've simply modified quickly to point to my newly compiled copy of 3.14.10 package.  Made NO other changes to his work) - Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv.plg

apcupsd 3.14.10 package - newly compiled version of the package which you can drop into /packages on flash disk - apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1_atv.tgz

Regards,

overbyrn

FYI, I compiled the 3.14.10 package to enable all communication methods including USB.  I've not tested the package other than to install to a DEV unraid machine.  But this machine doesn't have a UPS attached and I'm reluctant to work on my production Unraid box.  I'm hoping someone can still post a copy of the original 3.14.10 package but that this will do in the meantime.

Here's a copy of the original 3.14.10 package

http://www.4shared.com/file/m-UKyqRs/apcupsd-31410-i486-1_atv.html

Is there an e-mail notication option in this plugin, that would inform me when the UPS switches to batteries on a power outage?

This plugin, just like the unMENU package it was based upon, will send mail to "root" using the following command:

mail -s 'unRAID_Server_UPS_Alert' root

It expects a working "mail" command (that you must install) and that "root" have its mail  forwarded to the e-mail destination of your preference.

It is not enough to only have ssmtp installed.

Note: to get the mail, the connection to your ISP must be active during the power failure.  (The router, any switches in between, the cable-modem, etc.)

In my case, since I have a cable modem, and the amplifiers on the poles from my house to the cable company usually lose power when I do, causing a failure of my internet connection, there is no way for me to send an outgoing mail message in a power failure.  the internet connection just is not there for it to use.

Joe L.

ok I am confused then. I put the plugin file in my plugins folder \boot\plugins\ and rebooted... now what do I do?  how do i access the settings for this plugin?  what am I missing?

You've put it in the wrong place. As per the first page:

Includes Clean Powerdown Script from unMENU.

Remove the .txt extension, copy to /boot/config/plugins and reboot or run "installplg /boot/config/plugins/apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-1atv.plg"

Settings can be configured under the Settings Tab.

On failure an email is sent to root.

On most of these plugin threads there is usually a nice description on page one with install instructions.

ok well I'm almost there but not quite...  this is what happened when I tried to install:

StorageTower login: root
Linux 3.4.36-unRAID.
root@StorageTower:~# installplg /boot/config/plugins/Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv.plg
installing plugin: Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv
file /boot/packages/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1_atv.tgz: downloading from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26185617/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1_atv.tgz ... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26185617/apcupsd-3.14.10-i486-1_atv.tgz:
2013-04-03 12:07:52 ERROR 404: NOT FOUND.
bad download, deleting
root@StorageTower:~#

I thought it was the latest version.  I got it from the link on the plugins page:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Plugins.

The link i used to download from is:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/images/1/14/Apcupsd-3.14.10-i468-2atv.plg

is there a newer version?

the file isn't there on the original poster's dropbox account. you will need to wait for it to come back, maybe pm the guy?

the file isn't there on the original poster's dropbox account. you will need to wait for it to come back, maybe pm the guy?

I think that this is going to become a perennial problem ... I wonder whether Tom can offer the storage/bandwidth to provide a central repository?

I have used my own domain for distribution of my plugins.

I think that this is going to become a perennial problem ... I wonder whether Tom can offer the storage/bandwidth to provide a central repository?

I have used my own domain for distribution of my plugins.

Something like code.google.com could also be used.  Using things like dropbox, or even a personal domain is hugely problematic.  Ideally the plugin system would allow for multiple locations for files to be downloaded from, providing some redundancy. 

Some plugins refer to specific versions of files from current releases of distros.  If the current distro is updated, and the version of that file changes the link is broken, and subsequently so is the plugin - I fixed one of these in the past.