Slow parity check

Hello,

My server started a parity check last night (i got a notification email).  This morning it's only at 4% and is going at 2.5MB/s.  My syslog has nothing in it other than "Oct  1 04:40:01 Vault13 syslogd 1.4.1: restart." and after that its just the ssl connections made to send me parity check status emails.  The server runs on a UPS so it shouldn't have been rebooted due to power blip.

I guess I'm just looking for my next step, I assume one of the drives is bad.

Thanks for any tips.

*Edit* I'm using 4.7

Hello,

My server started a parity check last night (i got a notification email).  This morning it's only at 4% and is going at 2.5MB/s.  My syslog has nothing in it other than "Oct  1 04:40:01 Vault13 syslogd 1.4.1: restart." and after that its just the ssl connections made to send me parity check status emails.  The server runs on a UPS so it shouldn't have been rebooted due to power blip.

I guess I'm just looking for my next step, I assume one of the drives is bad.

Thanks for any tips.

*Edit* I'm using 4.7

Have you installed/enabled monthly parity checks?  If so, it is just doing what you asked.

The system logs are rotated out as they grow over a given size.  Look for syslog.1 or syslog.2

Joe L.

Joe L.

Joe,

I do have monthly checks enabled.  I am concerned about the rate at which it is going though.  2.5MB/s is brutally slow, if i recall it should be closer to 25-30MB/s.  I'm worried I might have a drive that's on it's way out and I need to figure out which one so I can replace it.

Joe,

I do have monthly checks enabled.  I am concerned about the rate at which it is going though.  2.5MB/s is brutally slow, if i recall it should be closer to 25-30MB/s.  I'm worried I might have a drive that's on it's way out and I need to figure out which one so I can replace it.

Joe mentioned that there are other syslogs, we are going to need to see all of them.  grab them and attach them as .txt files.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived