Video card for P5LD2

Scottathon

Hello,

I'm looking to add a AOC-SASLP-MV8 to my build, but my P5LD2 motherboard has no onboard video and only one PCI-E16 slot, which my old video card is currently occupying. Would this card work with unRAID?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ATI-Rage-XL-8MB-PCI-VGA-Video-Card-/170702468851?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3175339176307295855

If not, could you recommend something barebones and cheap that would fit in a PCI or PCI-E1 slot and work with unRAID?

Thanks,

Scott

Pretty much any card will work.  unRAID itself runs with or without a video card attached.  Since the normal Slackware build on which unRAID runs doesn't provide any graphics on the local machine you are only interested in basic text mode support.  Any PCI video card from the past 15 years or so should be able to do that.

I can't say with 100% certainty that it would but the basic text interface of linux should work with basically any vga compatable graphics card.  I bought a crappy pci graphics card for my machine because I had nothing extra but some gaming pci express cards and it works just fine.  I think I spent 30 bucks to get the one I have but I wanted a dvi port since I didn't have any 15 pin monitor cables lying around.  Even with that sellers overpriced shipping 14 or 15 bucks for a pci video card is a decent deal.. You may want to swing by a local computer repair shop and see if they have any old junk video cards lying around they'd sell you for a flat 5 or 10 bucks, last time I stopped in my local shop for something small like that they just gave me the stuff off their scraps pile no charge.

S80_UK posted while I was typing, but I'd agree with him entirely.