New Build, No Internet

rowdyt
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I just built a the PC, made the USB flash boot disk, I boot from disk, it installs, and then I go into the web interface from the local IP address, I click on start trial and I get Download Error 5.  I am not connected to the internet.  I cannot install Apps, my system thinks that it is Dec 31 2022, it won't update time automatically with NTP.

I have made multiple copies of the boot disk, nothing works.  I've reset router.  I have it set as static IP with my router allocating the IP I assigned it.

Motherboard is Gigabyte Gaming X AX Z790

CPU is Intel i7 12700k

32GB G Skill DDR5 ram

Case is In Win PE689

1TB WD nvme that I'll use for cache drive and for apps.

I have some HDDs for the array but haven't even gotten far enough to add them as I can't 

Connection is Realtek 2.5gigabit Ethernet port on motherboard.  

When I'm in the web interface, and go to tools, drivers... it appears its using RealTek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver.

I'm about ready to scrap the idea of using Unraid...

Oh and the windows flash boot disk maker tool only gives stable build options... thought maybe a beta build would have a driver that I am potentially missing or something, but I can't try that.  I chose "Next" and there are no books options in the dropdow.

Pretty frustrated.  Coming from a windows server previously, I thought Unraid sounded much lighter and also more flexible, but this is not a great start.

Edited by rowdyt
  • Solution
4 hours ago, rowdyt said:

trial and I get Download Error 5.

This error usually means the date and time are not correctly set.

4 hours ago, rowdyt said:

my system thinks that it is Dec 31 2022, it won't update time automatically with NTP.

If NTP isn't working manually set the correct date and time or the key will fail to install.

Thanks @trurl @JorgeB  

Yeah, I still don't understand why NTP won't set the correct time, but manually setting did allow me to initiate the trial.

Question,

Is it okay to stop the parity sync?  I installed my 5 HDDs that will be in the array (1 parity, 4 storage HDD).  These are new drives.  I got ahead of myself and started my array but I didn't perform the Memtest86+

Should I stop the parity sync and reboot and perform the Memtest86+ step?  Let this sync complete?  For reference, the 5 drives are 18TB each.  The parity sync estimates it'll complete in 18 hours...

Edited by rowdyt

How long has sync been running? If you do find memory errors you will have to resync parity (maybe even safer to also reformat data drives) after you fix memory.

Memory is probably OK, but it never hurts to be sure. You shouldn't even attempt to run any computer unless memory is working perfectly. Everything goes through RAM, the OS and other executable code, your data, everything. The CPU can't do anything with anything until it is loaded into RAM.