[Solved] upgraded - can't find box

Today I upgraded my basic unraid box from 4.3.x to 4.7. After upgrading I am unable to find my box at all. I type in tower, tower record comes up. I type in the ip address, and I get "the server is taking too long to respond."

I hooked up a monitor and keyboard to my box so I could verify that it is booting, which it is, and to capture the syslog, which is attached. I also tried ethtool -i eth0 and was told it could give me no information because eth0 does not exist. Not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

Fran

syslog-2011-10-5-1615.txt

Could your motherboard have two ethernet ports?  (and with the updated version of unRAID, the one that was not recognized previously is now recognized?)

It looks like two NICs are being detected...

Oct  6 02:05:06 Tower kernel: e100: Intel® PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.5.24-k2-NAPI

Oct  6 02:05:06 Tower kernel: e100: Copyright© 1999-2006 Intel Corporation

Oct  6 02:05:06 Tower kernel: Broadcom NetXtreme II CNIC Driver cnic v2.0.1 (Oct 01, 2009)

You might be plugged into the wrong port. (or need to disable the one you are not using in the BIOS)

Actually, I do. The onboard port, which I do have disabled in bios, stopped working a few years back, and that is why I have the second port. I did double check that the onboard was disabled, and re-disabled it just in case. I even tried plugging the network cable into the onboard port, but got no status lights when I did so. Also, I just ordered a new nic, the Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter, which should arrive sometime tomorrow. I'm hoping that will solve the problem when I install it, in addition to giving me giga speeds again.

Actually, I do. The onboard port, which I do have disabled in bios, stopped working a few years back, and that is why I have the second port. I did double check that the onboard was disabled, and re-disabled it just in case. I even tried plugging the network cable into the onboard port, but got no status lights when I did so. Also, I just ordered a new nic, the Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter, which should arrive sometime tomorrow. I'm hoping that will solve the problem when I install it, in addition to giving me giga speeds again.

You might need to enable the old NIC in the bios and then try once more.  As I said, it looked in the syslog as if like two different NIC chipsets were detected.

An update - so I shut down the box, went in to bios, re-enabled the onboard lan, plugged the net cable into the onboard port, rebooted. No lights on the port, not lights on the network switch port I was plugged in to. Shut down, went in to bios and disabled onboard lan, switched the cable back, rebooted, and still no sign of tower anywhere (however I do have lights on the card and the switch.)

Final Update - and a question.

My new nic arrived this afternoon. Popped it in and viola - everything back to normal.

Now for the question - while trying to get the box up and running again I tried using a new usb key with a fresh install of 4.7. Being much new, the box booted noticeably faster, plus the new key is a 4gig vs. 512 meg I think on the old one. Are the upgrades in boot speed and memory going to make a big difference for me, especially as unraid moves towards the 5.0 version, and what should I be aware of if I do switch over to the new key?

Thanks very much for the help. Makes me less hesitant to attempt upgrades in the future knowing this community has my back.