[SOLVED] Macinabox created BigSur VM won't boot (stuck on Apple logo screen)

thaoggamer
Go to solution Solved by thaoggamer,

I have been trying to get a Mac VM running using Macinabox. Initially, when I booted into the Mac VM, it owuld crash saying there was an error.

I subsequently, tried multiple re-installs of Macinabox and VM custom icons with the VM just straight up failing to boot and getting the error:

"operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

Today, I spent time deleteing all "docker" references in various mount locations, then rebooted the server and re-installed Macinabox/VM icons.

The VM is created but when I start it up, it presents the boot options but when I select the boot drive the VM is stuck on the page displaying the Apple logo.

I don't know what is wrong and I modified the CPU and RAM allocation then re-ran the helper script which then gave me this output... VM is still stuck on the Apple logo screen after selecting the boot disk at start-up.

I run my VM's and dockers off my cache drive. When I "edited" the docker settings pointing it to /mnt/cache/appdata the VM wouldn't start at  all and displayed the error "operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

image.png

Edited by thaoggamer
  • Solution

Ok so finally got it working... not exactly sure what was wrong. I just deleted all the existing files/templates (again), removed docker, removed all my existing VM's and then disabled both Docker and Virtual Machine Manager. I then rebooted the unRAID server and re-installed everything (Docker/VM Manager). Got all my other VM's up and running with no issue then ran Macinabox and everything worked as per spaceinvaderone's video guide.

Would love to figure our why it wasn't working but... system is up so... cancelled that  idea.

Edited by thaoggamer
  • thaoggamer changed the title to [SOLVED] Macinabox created BigSur VM won't boot (stuck on Apple logo screen)