New Nvidia 3060 fans won't spin

networkguyva

I bought 2 new Geoforce RTX 3060 graphics cards. I am only trying to use 1 in my unraid. I had this installed with the nvidia driver installed; however, the fans will not spin. This is causing the nvme drives that it sits on top of to overheat. I have tried everything I can think of to get the fans to spin, but I cannot make them when the GPU PCI-E connector is plugged in. As soon as I remove it, the fans spin but unraid does not see the gpu. I have no idea how to fix this on unraid. Could someone please help me out? 

Hi networkguyva,
on my knowledge GPU Fans do not Spin until there is some target Temperature reached at the GPU Chip or any other Hotspot on that Card, controlled by its Firmware.
When you disconnect that extra PCIe Power, they may spin, causing the failure of Power connection. Its like, when your Car have problems, Engine Light turns on -> it works in emergency Mode! and wont have Power, but runs, to not lay down.

So your SSD sits upper the GPU Slot or one under ist, so the GPU cooler is Blocking it from installing some Header für that M.2 Device?
Maybe a Picture might help us a bit for Cooling Ideas.

As long as you Pass trough that Card, you wont be able to tell the Host it should do anything on it. Because its all Controlled by that VM.

It is passed through. From HW itself -> VM ! By the Kernel, that is the First thing booting. Unraid itself, so the Software starting after Kernel is up an working, cannot insert information in that Datastream - it only forwoards it to that Virtual one.

kind regards,

Mofa

Edited by Mofarocker33
added information for explanation.

Hey Mofa, 

I appreciate you input. I ended up adding a plugin gpu statistics along with the nvidia one I already had. I then had to go through the painstaking task of adding nvidia back to plex and I added it to tdarr. When I adding a load for transcoding the fans kicked on.....smh. I do appreciate the help. I wish we could install a native app like on windows for this where we could control the fan speed. It would make my life simpler, but beggers can't be choosers 🙂

V/r

Networkguyva