Router recommendations and comments

ratmice

I'm in the process of replacing my router (currently Apple Airport Extreme). I just had the house wired for gigabit and the range of the antenna in the extreme is less than desirable in it's new location. Not to mention thet the thing is a pain to wall mount without a $40 extra. I still need wireless access for some other devices ( b/g/n).

I'd like a nice reliable router with gigabit switch built in. I really want to try DD-WRT, or Tomato, as well. Low cost would be a plus as well. I've been doing some reading and beginning to get overwhelmed, just want to hear from some of the people who hang out here, what they use, what features are necessqry, what problems they've had and to get some recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any input others are willing to provide.

I'm in the process of replacing my router (currently Apple Airport Extreme). I just had the house wired for gigabit and the range of the antenna in the extreme is less than desirable in it's new location. Not to mention thet the thing is a pain to wall mount without a $40 extra. I still need wireless access for some other devices ( b/g/n).

I'd like a nice reliable router with gigabit switch built in. I really want to try DD-WRT, or Tomato, as well. Low cost would be a plus as well. I've been doing some reading and beginning to get overwhelmed, just want to hear from some of the people who hang out here, what they use, what features are necessqry, what problems they've had and to get some recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any input others are willing to provide.

I run a WRT320N with DD-WRT and have not had any problems with it.  I am sure there are newer models then the 320N but you should be able to find something.

not the cheapest, buuut..

I'm running one of these: http://store.netgate.com/RSPRO-RouterStationPro-Indoor-Kit-v20-P1652.aspx throw in a wireless kit: http://store.netgate.com/Ubiquiti-Kits-C33.aspx and you'll be set for a very, very long time. It runs open-wrt, and I have it setup right now to load balance between my cable internet and a DSL connection. I route everythign else to a gigabit switch. Quite fast and rock solid :)

Archived