We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Need to select MB/CPU, I have DRAM and Case

g725s

I've got DRAM and a case to start a build, and would like to use these because I have them for starters.

For the DRAM I have:

G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4GBx2

XMP CL9-9-9-24

Overkill but I've got it, actually got two sets of these (16GB), so I'd like to get a MB/CPU that is compatible with this DRAM.

I also have an Antec 300 case, and I'm under the impression it can house up to 10 drive for an UnRAID type build.

I'm totally new to UnRAID and this would be my first UnRAID build.  I have however built a few PCs before this.

I have about 4TB of media now.  But I would also buy new drives for this build and start out with the free version of UnRAID to make sure It works to my liking and then expand later.  I've got at least 4TB more that I could put to HHD.

Would there be any reason to get a MB with USB 3.0?  I have two external drives that are 3.0.  it takes hours to transfer video files to these drives with 2.0

That is SDRAM, not DRAM.  I think that you are going to end up wasting money trying to match a motherboard to RAM that is not well suited to unRAID in the first place.  The RAM I recommend for unRAID is cheap as chips ($14 shipped).  Is it worth your time shopping around for hardware that will work with the RAM you have just to save $14?

The Antec 300 is a good starter case for unRAID.  Definitely stick with that for now.

Your initial data migration from your computers and external drives is going to take hours upon hours anyway.  Is it important to you if it takes 2 days instead of 3 days?  If so, get a motherboard with USB 3.0.  If not, then don't bother.

Yes, memory is cheap now.  I guess I was just hoping to put this memory I have to use.  But I searched the site and others and did not find any rigs that used 1600 DDR3.  I'll take your recommendation and not base my build around this memory.  Thanks.

I've seen your unRAID rig recommendations.  Many are outdated and the links take you to inactive hardware.

I'd like to get a MB that has USB 3.0 built into it.  Any recommendations for such a MB?

Sorry, no, I don't have any recommendations for USB 3.0 boards at the moment.  Search these forums (especially the motherboard forum) and you might find others who are using one.  I plan to start another round of budget board testing soon. Since I focus on boards that are inexpensive, they are often discontinued within days or weeks of my testing.  You can follow the saga here if you are interested.

Edit: This thread has these two recommendations:

Asus P8H67-M LE B3

Asus P8H67-M LE Rev 3.0

Both look good to me!

Archived