SuperMicro X8SIL-F started beeping

Over the past week, or so i will occasionally hear what I assume is an alarm beep from my unRAID server. It's intermittent, lasts about 5 secs., and is an alternating high tone/low tone (kind of like a british police siren [bee-boo-bee-boo...]). It stops by itself and there never seems to be any issues with the server (ie. temps high, syslog events, etc..). The only referenece to tones I could find in the manual is about POST beeps, however, none of them are described like this, and these happen when my server has been up and running for hours/days. If I look at the motherboard when it's happening, I don't see any LEDs flashing, or somesuch, to indicate an error. I'm a totally stumped. Any ideas out there? I'll include a syslog because I'm sure there's something in there that might help, I just can't make heads or tails out of it.

syslog-2011-10-09.txt.zip

Fans all seem to be working fine. CPU temp is reported as low. Drives are within normal operating temps. Not sure really what to check here. In my Norco 4220, the CPU fan is attached to fan2 and 2 80 mm PWM fans are attached to fan5. The backplane fans are connected directly to the power supply, and not to a MoBo header. Anything I should be specifically looking for?

P.s. This morning the alarm was sounding and did not stop after the normal few seconds. I shut the array down and powered down the server. Not really sure where to go from here.

Try setting your fans to "Full Speed/FS" in the bios as opposed to the other options (if it isn't set to that already).  Maybe your fans don't report their speeds reliably at lower speeds and the bios is beeping because it thinks they have turned off completely.  Setting to full speed should stop that problem.  Also the manual for X8SIL-F specifies all 4 pin or all 3 pin fans and not a mix so if you have mixed your fan types maybe that is causing your problems.  Otherwise just guessing here.

I do have all 4-pin fans (CPU and rear x2) on the MoBo, the fans from the Norco backplane fan are directly attached to the power supply. There have been no fan changes for about 3 months so this basically started happening out of the blue.

Yesterday the system temp started reading as -65 C  ::) so something is definately borked (or my fan is REALLY working well).

I did go hunting for an IPMI FW update and applied the latest version, seems to have helped the temp. reading, we'll see about the beeps. I'll have to dig up the windows laptop to try firing up Supero Doctoro - SuperMicro's monitoring tool, to see what it has to say. According to SuperMicro TS it get's it's readings differently than the IPMI interface does - not sure how that would be but I'll give it a try.

I was distracted when the system booted up after the FW update, but next restart I'll poke around the BIOS for some fan settings, thanks.

I think in general, smoldersonline's advice is good-IGNORE, as all is working perfectly well.

Just wanted chime in here and say that since I have uninstalled (1 week ago) the iStat Monitor plug-in I have not had the beeps or fan issues in my chassis. I was getting them multiple times a day before removing it.

If you can figure out what in iStat was causing the beeping that would be great.

I plan on updating that package and would like to know so that when i redo it works properly... hopefully.

Just wanted chime in here and say that since I have uninstalled (1 week ago) the iStat Monitor plug-in I have not had the beeps or fan issues in my chassis. I was getting them multiple times a day before removing it.

If you can figure out what in iStat was causing the beeping that would be great.

I plan on updating that package and would like to know so that when i redo it works properly... hopefully.

I've got to be honest, I am a bit gun-shy at the moment. The day after I loaded the plug-in I had a whole host of problems arise with my server, that had been running great since I built it. To wit, the beeping, fans stopping and giving wonky readings over IPMI, System temp. being reported as -65 C,  then 2 simultaneous HDD failures. Not sure that they are all related, but I'm not sure I am brave enough  to find out. I am still in the process of trying to recover from a 2 TB data loss. I will say that since removing the plug-in it's back to smooth sailing. For full disclosure I will also say that I installed the safe powerdown plugin at the same time, however it is still installed and all problems seem to be gone.

I am going out of town for 2 weeks, but if I can figure out a way to help out without putting any data at risk I will do so. I guess I could load another USB stick with the free version of UnRAID, and populate it with some older drives I have around, for testing purposes. Let me know what I can do to help and I will.

I've had a support ticket open since the beginning of the month with SuperMicro for this issue with my X8SI6-F. So far, there is no resolution for the issue. I've had the beeping since I first put this board into service about 3 months ago. I was sent a beta BIOS but it did not resolve the issue.

I do not use unRAID. This issue doesn't seem to be related to unRAID or software components used with unRAID. I've sent a link to this thread to SuperMicro so they can see that other owners of this board family are experiencing issues.

Can those affected post machine specs?

Board Model and BIOS Revision:
CPU Model:
Memory Manufacturer / Size / Count:
Using onboard fans? Type (3-pin, 4-pin)? Count?:
Using Intel SATA?:
Using onboard LSI SAS (X8SI6)?:
Using PCI-e SAS? Which card?:
Using a SAS expander? Which one?:

• 5 weeks later...

No responses to this?

Supermicro doesn't seem to care about my support ticket anymore. They referred me to the vendor. The vendor referred me to Supermicro. My beeping continues. It's highly annoying.

Re: -65C system temp - this is reported sometimes and has nothing to do with any other issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Changing fan speed settings / disabling any auto control is one of the first things I tried.

My installation only uses a mainboard header for the CPU fan - all other fans are directly powered by the PSU. I have tried disabling control of this fan and having it run 100%; the machine still beeps whenever it feels like it. The BMC never reports any trouble with the fan that is actually installed, even when automatic control is in use. The status of the other disconnected headers will sporadically change from N/A to 0rpm failure, but from my logging (using output of "ipmitool sensor" every minute and emailing when disconnected fan header status breaks) there is no correlation between this appearance of 0rpm failures and beeping.

If changing fan speeds actually solves the problem for others, feedback would be helpful.

Changing fan speed settings / disabling any auto control is one of the first things I tried.

My installation only uses a mainboard header for the CPU fan - all other fans are directly powered by the PSU. I have tried disabling control of this fan and having it run 100%; the machine still beeps whenever it feels like it. The BMC never reports any trouble with the fan that is actually installed, even when automatic control is in use. The status of the other disconnected headers will sporadically change from N/A to 0rpm failure, but from my logging (using output of "ipmitool sensor" every minute and emailing when disconnected fan header status breaks) there is no correlation between this appearance of 0rpm failures and beeping.

If changing fan speeds actually solves the problem for others, feedback would be helpful.

Are you able to connect your fans to the motherboard as a testing measure?

it could be an under/over volting warning too..

could be power supply load has changed or dirty power?

some SM boards have a voltage error header and fan error headers. hook an led to them (hard drive, nic or power lights?) to it and see if one lights when it alerts.

Are you able to connect your fans to the motherboard as a testing measure?

No. I could get other fans to connect to the headers... just don't have any spare 4pin...

it could be an under/over volting warning too..

could be power supply load has changed or dirty power?

some SM boards have a voltage error header and fan error headers. hook an led to them (hard drive, nic or power lights?) to it and see if one lights when it alerts.

I have taken this PSU out and hooked it up to my scope and ran it under load - voltages look great, noise well under control. It is a new Corsair TX750v2. I've also tested another PSU in the system and it did the same thing. I've also logged the output of "ipmitool sensor" every few seconds and logged hi-lo for voltages over a couple days - they are all well in spec.

I just checked the fail headers. First the Power Fail: 0v. The Overheat / Fan Fail... 3.16v. The manual says flashing is fan, solid is overheat... so it's likely the BIOS thinks the machine is overheating?

----

The alarm has been currently going off for over 24 hours now (one of the longest ones). Just as a test I reset the BMC using the web interface, and the beeping continued. The previous "failed" fans now show the "N/A" they used to again. The beeping is likely caused by a BIOS routine.

I'm seriously considering disassembling the BIOS and finding the routine for these beeps and nop'ing them out. There is no reason for a machine that is 31c ambient under load, with no malfunctions whatsoever, to be beeping like this. As SuperMicro doesn't care, what other choice do I have? (ACTUALLY, reading the manual, I missed something: jumping pins 3 and 4 of the speaker header will ENABLE the onboard speaker, which is the default. I've removed this jumper. Not ideal (as other beeps won't come through) but good enough for now...)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +23.0 C  (high = +83.0 C, crit = +99.0 C)
Core 1:       +22.0 C  (high = +83.0 C, crit = +99.0 C)
Core 2:       +28.0 C  (high = +83.0 C, crit = +99.0 C)
Core 3:       +21.0 C  (high = +83.0 C, crit = +99.0 C)

w83627dhg-isa-0a10
Adapter: ISA adapter
Vcore:        +0.85 V  (min =  +0.60 V, max =  +1.49 V)
in1:          +1.85 V  (min =  +1.62 V, max =  +1.99 V)
AVCC:         +3.31 V  (min =  +2.98 V, max =  +3.63 V)
+3.3V:        +3.31 V  (min =  +2.98 V, max =  +3.63 V)
in4:          +1.54 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.65 V)
in5:          +1.26 V  (min =  +1.13 V, max =  +0.30 V)  ALARM
in6:          +1.46 V  (min =  +1.42 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
3VSB:         +3.28 V  (min =  +2.98 V, max =  +3.63 V)
Vbat:         +3.12 V  (min =  +2.70 V, max =  +3.30 V)
fan1:           0 RPM  (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
fan2:        2136 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div =   ALARM
fan3:           0 RPM  (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
fan4:           0 RPM  (min =  753 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
fan5:           0 RPM  (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
temp1:        +30.0 C  (high = +60.0 C, hyst = +55.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
temp2:        +28.5 C  (high = +81.0 C, hyst =  +0.0 C)  ALARM  sensor = thermistor
temp3:        +26.0 C  (high =  +0.0 C, hyst = +70.0 C)  sensor = thermistor
cpu0_vid:    +1.300 V

System Temp      | 26.000     | degrees C  | ok    | -9.000    | -7.000    | -5.000    | 75.000    | 77.000    | 79.000
CPU Temp         | 0x0        | discrete   | 0x0000| na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
FAN 1            | 2065.000   | RPM        | ok    | 215.000   | 400.000   | 585.000   | 29260.000 | 29815.000 | 30370.000
FAN 2            | na         | RPM        | na    | na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
FAN 3            | na         | RPM        | na    | na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
FAN 4            | na         | RPM        | na    | na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
FAN 5            | na         | RPM        | na    | na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
CPU Vcore        | 0.848      | Volts      | ok    | 0.640     | 0.664     | 0.688     | 1.344     | 1.408     | 1.472
+3.3VCC          | 3.312      | Volts      | ok    | 2.816     | 2.880     | 2.944     | 3.584     | 3.648     | 3.712
+12 V            | 12.243     | Volts      | ok    | 10.494    | 10.600    | 10.706    | 13.091    | 13.197    | 13.303
CPU DIMM         | 1.544      | Volts      | ok    | 1.152     | 1.216     | 1.280     | 1.760     | 1.776     | 1.792
+5 V             | 5.056      | Volts      | ok    | 4.096     | 4.320     | 4.576     | 5.344     | 5.600     | 5.632
-12 V            | -12.098    | Volts      | ok    | -13.844   | -13.650   | -13.456   | -10.934   | -10.740   | -10.546
VBAT             | 3.120      | Volts      | ok    | 2.816     | 2.880     | 2.944     | 3.584     | 3.648     | 3.712
+3.3VSB          | 3.280      | Volts      | ok    | 2.816     | 2.880     | 2.944     | 3.584     | 3.648     | 3.712
AVCC             | 3.312      | Volts      | ok    | 2.816     | 2.880     | 2.944     | 3.584     | 3.648     | 3.712
Chassis Intru    | 0x0        | discrete   | 0x0000| na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na
PS Status        | 0x1        | discrete   | 0x01ff| na        | na        | na        | na        | na        | na

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you tried upgrading the bios?

I was sent the BIOS files currently listed on SuperMicro's site at least a couple of weeks before they went live. They do not solve the problem.

I noticed something in the manual for this board the other day.  It specifically says NOT to mix 3 pin and 4 pin fans on the motherboard headers.  I doubt that's the cause of your beeping issue, but I figured it can't hurt to mention it anyway.

No mixing is going on. I've actually tried using NO fan headers and the system still beeps. I've since pulled the jumper for the internal speaker though. I have no speaker but I have sanity...

Hi, You might think I'm mad suggesting this, but it could be one of your hard drives.  I had a similar issues, intermittant beeps, different volumes, and they got worse as data was being copied to that drive.  It sounded just like a post beep, and I disconnected fans, the speaker, and eventually isolated the harddrive.  I could hear a beep, click click, and if I put my finger on the drive I could feel it click click after the beep.

Here a link to my issue and solution.  http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=991485  (I hope that's okay with the mods)  I think I also posted up an audio file so that might help too.

The drive passed every smart test, including Samsungs own diagnostic tool.  I RMA'd it and received a new drive as a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not a hard drive. The 500hz/1Khz alternating tone isn't typical of a hard drive and certainly shouldn't be that loud.

In addition, removing the jumper for the speaker while it is beeping confirms that the system is causing the beeping.

I've not heard the beeps since I removed the jumper about a month ago. It's never been this long. The motherboard is the source of the beeping.

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...

I also have the same problem with the beeps and it seems to be related to load.  As long as I have 12 virtual servers or less there are no beeps.   No event logs or errors only the beeps.  I will try setting the fans to constant.  I purchased the motherboard in 2019.