(solved) Files moved from disk to disk are no longer in share but are on target disk

Go to solution Solved by OriginalFlavor,

From the command line, I used midnight commander (mc) to move files from disk to disk.

I have a share named "tv"

the drives use xfs

I used mc to move the folder "tv" from /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/disk2

When I browse the share "tv" (i.e. \\tower\tv) the share is empty.

When I browse the disk (i.e. unraid>main disk2\tv) I can see all the files that I moved.

I checked the filesystem on each of my drives while in maintenance mode. This did not fix the problem.

How should I get my files on disk2 listed in the share?

• OriginalFlavor changed the title to (solved) Files moved from disk to disk are no longer in share but are on target disk
  • Solution

Fixed by including the target disk in the share after including the target disk in global share setting.

Discovered that the share did not include the target disk by:

Shares> tv (i.e., share name)> Included disks> All

When i clicked "all", the drop down did not list the target disk. I.e., the drop down showed "Disk 1" with a checked box, but did not even list the target disk, Disk 2.

Fix

1. Stopped the array.
  2. Settings> Global Share Settings> Included disks> checked the target disk (i.e., Disk 2).
  3. Started the array.
  4. Confirmed disk 2 included in share tv by, Shares> tv> included disks> all and saw that Disk2 was now listed and checked.
  5. Opened share and can see all the moved files.

Possible Cause. I replaced some old drives with new, bigger drives and updated my parity drive in the preceding weeks. I am guessing that I had failed to include the new disks in the global share settings.

I worked my way to the solution after reading the following thread: [SOLVED] NEW DISC DOESN’T GET INCLUDED IN SHARES

Thank you itimpi. Your suggestion got me to the eventual solution.

3 hours ago, OriginalFlavor said:

Confirmed disk 2 included in share tv by, Shares> tv> included disks> all and saw that Disk2 was now listed and checked.

Most people leave the global section at 'All' and then control things at the individual share level.  This means any new disks are automatically available to user shares and one is less likely to overlook any change required to the global setting.

15 hours ago, itimpi said:

Most people leave the global section at 'All' and then control things at the individual share level.  This means any new disks are automatically available to user shares and one is less likely to overlook any change required to the global setting.

Agreed.

However, after loading the Global Shares page, the included disks field said "all." Not until I clicked the dropdown, did I see that, in fact, only disk 1 was selected. 

So, be careful, just because the field loads with "all", do not assume that all the disks are in fact checked.

Also notable, I do not remember ever deselecting any drive in the global share settings. Plus, I doubt that I ever would have deselected a drive.  Despite this, a drive was unselected. Maybe someone else will solve this in a future thread?

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, OriginalFlavor said:

Also notable, I do not remember ever deselecting any drive in the global share settings. Plus, I doubt that I ever would have deselected a drive.  Despite this, a drive was unselected. Maybe someone else will solve this in a future thread?

Strange.   Normally one would not attempt to select any drives in the Global Share Settings page.  Almost sounds as if what was displayed in the GUI is not what was set underneath at the config level.