Windows is confused? - missing files

Peculiar situation:  disk2 has a hidden share called Backup, and this folder has about 400GB of files in it. 

Today, when I went to disk2/Backup all I saw was an empty folder in Windows.  Funny thing, Windows also sees a folder also called backup (starting with a lower case B).  These 2 folders both show as being empty in Windows.  Yet if I telnet into the server with putty, I see only one folder called Backup and all files appear to be there.  Poking around with MC I also see a /mnt/user directory, and all the backup files show in their too. 

Why is Windows confused?  How do I get my files back?

(thankfully I have a 2nd level backup of most of these files)

Well I tried several computers, and some of them had problems accessing this folder and some of them didn't.  The ones that didn't saw both the lower case "backup" and the upper case "Backup", and saw the same files in both. 

Now why are there 2 folders?  Do I dare delete one of them? 

I wouldn't delete anything from Windows - esp if on the console and using MC everything looks good - sounds like definately somthing flacky with the Windows systems. Offline files by any chance? Sounds like they may be caching an old copy. How are you exporting the shares? Via SMB?

No offline files, just using standard SMB via standard unraid 4.7 process.  Set up for user shares, but this directory root level directory on disk2 was set to export Read/Write, Hidden and when I just rechecked it, unRaid was set to Read Only / Hidden.  I've just changed this error, but it hasn't had any affect on the fact that there is a duplicate of this directory showing up in Windows.

There are 2 cloned servers backing this one up (both 5b12a) and this same folder shows up as it should on Windows, but there are no user shares on the 5b12a machines yet and all the disk shares are hidden.

I had previously said that the duplicate folders were as follows and they only showed up  in Windows when connecting via SMB.  This is not correct.  Using MC in a telnet window, I see both folder there too.  The one with a lower case backups is empty, and the one with an upper case Backups is full.  I am tempted to delete the empty folder in MC and see what happens. 

\\tower2\disk2\backups

\\tower2\disk2\Backups

What happens if you turn the shares off and restart the clients? Then enable the shares again.

Regarding your question, I shut off the user shares, restarted the array, then rebooted the Windows computer.  About 1 hr later, I stopped the array again, and restarted the user shares.  I still see this hidden share as a duplicate folder, when I access the server by disk, and then navigate to these folders.

If I request Windows to go directly to

\\tower2\backups

it just shows me an empty folder.  Same thing if I go to

\\tower2\Backups

There is about 400 gb in the Backup folder, and when I access via Telnet and use MC it shows as:

\Backup on mnt\disk2