Hook's Economy MINI 6Bay unRAID

Thanks for the link - Could you put 7 drives in this case - 7th drive where the cd rom drive goes?

Yes, you could even get a single drive hot-swap bay for it. (like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990001 )

keep in mind that motherboard combo is limited to 6 drives. (unless i overlooked something)

Yes that is true - so I could look for a mb with 5-6 sata and use the add on card.

Thanks for the link - Could you put 7 drives in this case - 7th drive where the cd rom drive goes?

Yes, you could even get a single drive hot-swap bay for it. (like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990001 )

keep in mind that motherboard combo is limited to 6 drives. (unless i overlooked something)

Yes that is true - so I could look for a mb with 5-6 sata and use the add on card.

There is a place at the bottom of the external bay for a 2.5" drive, so you can put 8 drives in this case (7 x 3.5" + 1 x 2.5").

Check out my specs. I have this case with a 4-port mobo and 4-port SATA card. I have hotswap in the external bay to use to backup critical data to another bare drive for offsite storage. I use the 2.5" spot for the cache drive. Currently I only have 4 of the 3.5" internal bays filled.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going down the path of building a system comparable to yours and what Raj's recommends.  I bought the MB and PSU because they are currently heavily discounted at Newegg.  Something I saw after previous poster chip mentioned the current prices above.

But now I'd also like to find good deals on the CPU and RAM and the other components.  I know HDD are not going to be real deal these days and I already have a couple to get me up and running.  But what about the other parts I need.  I'm going to use a temp case that I have for the time being.

But I need a CPU, DRAM, SATA card (eventually), etc.  Any recommendations?  Are there any good deals out there right now on these additional parts that anyone knows of?

Sorry I'm late to Ur response..

You are right about this build being about one of the most efficient, practical and inexpensive unRAID builds out there for simple XBMC/HTPC users.  You can review this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=109453 if you have not already in order to find the best deals on your specific requests.  This was my choice over the pre-built HP SFF server.. A bit larger in size than the HP Micro, but just as efficient!