Modest HTPC Computer

SSD

I am looking for an inexpensive HTPC (or similar type device) that would let me my college kid watch hulu and play movies (up to BluRay) on a 1080P LCD.  She has no server so this will have to be able to store its own data.  Any suggestions?

I am looking for an inexpensive HTPC (or similar type device) that would let me my college kid watch hulu and play movies (up to BluRay) on a 1080P LCD.  She has no server so this will have to be able to store its own data.  Any suggestions?

Hello..

Hey...this thing ROCKS!! 

The plain WD Live Plus works just fine and I think I paid 99bucks for mine. ;)

Indeed it does..  As I have both the Live plus and the HUB..  But I believe the poster wanted a unit with onboard storage..

My son just went off to college and lives in a shockingly small dorm room. He went with a 24" monitor, a laptop and a 3T external drive which has to sit on the floor because there is no space on the desk! I don't want to make watching movies too easy. I want him hanging out with other students and experiencing the world without his parents around.

Thanks all.  Will review these in detail tonight.

One thing she would like is to be able to play a DVD or BluRay disk (from .ISO file).  Any options here?

Her only PC is a ~3 year old macbook.  Don't know exactly the model, but it uses some proprietary display port and will not easily allow connection to 1080p HDMI TV.

Thanks all.  Will review these in detail tonight.

One thing she would like is to be able to play a DVD or BluRay disk (from .ISO file).  Any options here?

Her only PC is a ~3 year old macbook.  Don't know exactly the model, but it uses some proprietary display port and will not easily allow connection to 1080p HDMI TV.

display port to hdmi adapter: http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=display+port&x=0&y=0

The plain WD Live Plus works just fine and I think I paid 99bucks for mine. ;)

I decided to go with the WD Live Plus.  It will play Hulu (her #1 requirement), most video formats, ISO images, supports 2 external USB drives (or USB wireless + 1 drive), and gets positive reviews.  (Only thing it won't do is play 3D.)  Plus I found one for $59 with just seems too good to pass up.

We decided against the DisplayPort cable.  Her laptop only supports 1080i, plus if she is using her laptop to display TV, she can't use it for while watching TV.  And they seem pretty pricey too.

After getting hers, and trying it out, I may get one for us.  Seems like a nice little device!

Thanks for the suggestions!

BTW, you can buy one on eBay for $59 HERE

Archived