Has anyone ever used 3x AOC-SASLP-MV8 in one server?

I have run 3 SASLP-MV8 in an X9SCM for a few weeks to test it. I then split the cards when I got a second X9SCM.

I believe that was on Ver 5B6a.

There is also someone on the forums running 3 on an X8SIL on the forums. I recall he had some sort of issue after power fail, but work up until then.

I did have to plug them in one at a time to configure them. I needed to make a bios change on my Mobo as I recall.

I never fully loaded them. 3-4 drives each.

I now run 2 MV8's and 1 M1015 in one box and 1 MV8 and 2 M1015's in the second.

Here are a few threads with discussion of this topic:

X8SIL-F Limitation (officially Supermicro says that it will not work)

SASLP-MV8 problems? + other Qs [sOLVED] (disabling Option ROM in BIOS seems to make it work)

Re: The perfect unRAID mainboard and CPU.:-) (another report of 3 SASLP cards working on an X8SIL mobo)

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-O (Johnm and others discuss this board and the potential for support of 3 SASLP cards, but no hard proof)

So it seems that a few people have had success with the Supermicro X8SIL-F board, and that only Johnm has tried it with the Supermicro X9SCM-O board.

I believe on the X9SCM, i had to Set PCI ROM Priority to "EFI Compatible ROM" in the bios to see more then 2 HBA's

Oddwunn is the gentleman i was thinking of running 3 MV8's on his X8SIL, I am not sure the current status of his array since he got hit by a hurricane.

Last i heard, he might have fried his board from power issues related to the storm. shoot him a PM perhaps for some insight and a possible syslog?

If that is the case, I would use the mobo ports unless you are short on ports.

throwing more "things to go wrong" into a server is not always the wisest idea.

I am running 3 cards because I am running in an ESXi environment.

stability is the key to a server...

besides the mobo ports are free, while the mv8 will cost more.

Perhaps you might want to stick it out and see what happens with the SAS2LP-MV8 and get one of those when 5 goes live if you don't need it today?

That's wise, but I think by disabling the option rom bios it will be fine. As per the other threads.

It would not be the first time I had to disable the option rom to get a controller detected.

I'm really looking for simplicity of cabling internally.

Besides, I will be buying enough cables and cards that if it doesn't work we can fall back to using the motherboard ports and a 2 port ARC-1200 controller.

I can't wait until unRAID 5.x There is an immediate need for incremental storage en mass.

I wanted to go supermicro for all the parts.

mobo, controllers, cables in a 24 drive ready supermicro chassis.

I have a Norco RPC-4224 running a SuperMicro X8SIL-F with 3 x AOC-SASLP-MV8 in one box, with

Connected to the 3 SASLP-MV8s:

Parity: 1 x 3TB Hitachi

Array Drives: 20 Drives (19 are 2TB WD20EARS, 1 is a 3TB Hitachi - like my parity drive)

Warm Spare: 3TB Hitachi (in case another drive fails)

Connected to Motherboard SATA:

Cache Drive: 256GB Samsung SSD

Besides a problem I had with providing the backplane enough power (which I fixed) it's been running for over a year and through a move from Chicago to San Fran and a local move with 0 problems. (BTW, the SASLPs are running FW 3.1.0.21).

besides the mobo ports are free, while the mv8 will cost more.

This is actually small potatoes for this build. When I told my friend of the approximate price, she said, build it. Done.

She needs 100TB storage and even though unRAID cannot support it now, This will do until the need exceeds the build.

I have a Norco RPC-4224 running a SuperMicro X8SIL-F with 3 x AOC-SASLP-MV8 in one box, with

Connected to the 3 SASLP-MV8s:

Parity: 1 x 3TB Hitachi

Array Drives: 20 Drives (19 are 2TB WD20EARS, 1 is a 3TB Hitachi - like my parity drive)

Warm Spare: 3TB Hitachi (in case another drive fails)

Connected to Motherboard SATA:

Cache Drive: 256GB Samsung SSD

Besides a problem I had with providing the backplane enough power (which I fixed) it's been running for over a year and through a move from Chicago to San Fran and a local move with 0 problems. (BTW, the SASLPs are running FW 3.1.0.21).

Thanks!

Archived