Fractal D7 First Unraid Build

Hi All, I’ve just finished my first Unraid build.  I’m really pleased with how it’s turned out.  I basically needed something that was quiet enough to live in our living room.  I’d been looking for quiet components, and had heard good things about the Define 7 case.  However, props to @phea on their build, after seeing how great that looks, I was sold on the case.  I wasn’t disappointed either, it’s a real piece of quality engineering.  I’ve built a few PCs over the years, but nothing for at least 10 years now, so quite a lot has changed (I still don’t know what UEFI really is lol).  Anyway, we don’t really have a table in our house, so this was all put together on a foot stool.  I really wanted to hide this server down the side of the sofa, but had second thoughts when I realised that’s where my wife sits, and she’s known to knock her drink over.  It blends in quite well though, just a shame I can’t hide the UPS somewhere.

So my build is:

OS at time of building: unRAID 6.12.6 Trial

CPU: i5 9600k 6c

Motherboard: Asrock z370 Extreme 4

RAM: 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM (4x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Mid (White)

Power Supply: CORSAIR RM750x Shift

HBA:  LSI 9223-8i

Cables: HBA to SATA (came with card)

Fans: 3 x 140mm stock fans with case.  Seem to be working fine, but bought ARCTIC P12 PWM PST (5 Pack) just in case.

HDD Drives: 8 x 20TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro

Cache Drive: 2 x Samsung 980 1 TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD

Download Drive: Kingston 240GB SATA SSD

Total Drive Capacity: 162.24 TB

Primary Use: Data storage, media streaming.

Dislikes: Power LED is a bit much, and ugly UPS next to it.

Add Ons Used: Unassigned Devices, Fix common problems, community plugins, that’s all so far, any suggestions?

Future Plans:  Complete preceding, Figure out how to best configure storage: 80TB main array for media, 80TB zfs z1 pool for data,  2x 1TB nvme zfs mirror for cache(possibly upgrade to 2x4tb), 240GB SATA SSD as a temp download disk for Sabnzb??? Advice really appreciated.

Boot (peak): unknown yet

Idle (avg): unknown yet

Active (avg): 124 W (Preclearing so far)

Light use (avg): unknown yet

IMG_1819.thumb.jpeg.22bccd83aba9bdafadee0d59af49dc3f.jpeg
IMG_1820.thumb.jpeg.505f4840cd7b4bac90bd97e63ede250e.jpeg

IMG_1818.thumb.jpeg.3aa83d414fced9742b5a449ce8e6610e.jpeg

IMG_1815.thumb.jpeg.77c1eac4392e61dfbd582127c09e29dd.jpeg

IMG_1817.thumb.jpeg.6b043ea284b06f27c6e96f1a4d99bd42.jpeg

IMG_1826.thumb.jpeg.9c1697b40f801eeb3c8d7a96bb1dc659.jpeg

Really would appreciate any advice and tips, apart from watching a few Spaceinvader One videos and reading some of the Unraid Docs, I’m a complete noob.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good, make sure to connect the UPS to your UNRAID (e.g. via USB) using the inbuilt "UPS Settings" (apcupsd) or the NUT plugin.

This'll ensure you'll have graceful shutdowns when the power goes out.

Some people also had their HBA cards run extremely hot and strapped a small fan to them.

This of course depends on the airflow situation in your case, just something to watch out for in case of problems. 🙂

Edited by Rysz
  • Thanks 1