We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Is Raid ok for SATA ports over AHCI

Hi all,

Motherboard is an Asus m4a785T-M (latest BIOS) with 6 sata ports, 1-4 on one controller and 5 and 6 on another.

When I set to AHCI for both it won't pick up a drive on port 5 and 6. IDE and RAID will

I know that IDE is slower but can I set it to RAID for all ports and leave it at that?

Do you see any problems with that?

Thanks Josh

What you are seeing seems to be backwards.  Generally ACHI is the best choice and unRAID will have trouble detecting RAID.  You are right that there will be a slight performance hit while using IDE (plus you lose all hot swap ability, which unRAID doesn't support anyway).  If RAID is working for your then I suppose you should go with that.  Just don't actually configure a RAID in BIOS (if the RAID BIOS has a JBOD or NO RAID option, choose that).  You might also want to consider flashing (updating) your BIOS.

What you are seeing seems to be backwards.  Generally ACHI is the best choice and unRAID will have trouble detecting RAID.  You are right that there will be a slight performance hit while using IDE (plus you lose all hot swap ability, which unRAID doesn't support anyway).  If RAID is working for your then I suppose you should go with that.  Just don't actually configure a RAID in BIOS (if the RAID BIOS has a JBOD or NO RAID option, choose that).  You might also want to consider flashing (updating) your BIOS.

Thanks, It's the BIOS not picking up HDDs for ports 5 and 6 when set to AHCI but when in RAID it will. On the latest Bios already, I suspect something is on the fritz with the motherboard but this is the third board as the other 2 had problems too. Asus seem to just send out refurb units as the this one I recieved had the cpu cooler bracket broken and a bent pin on the motherboard. Just had enough of sending it back.

Josh

Archived