UNRAID Server HW Change - boot issues

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

UNRAID Version: 6.12.6

Hi there.  I upgraded my Supermicro CS836 X9 based system to a Supermicro MBD-X11SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Xeon D-2123IT.  

A few problems i'm troubleshooting:

1) UNRAID boot stalls at "Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevadm trigger --action=change" for a long period of time.  If I wait long enough it seems to boot and operate OK.  I tried a new clean UNRAID USB and it boots up immediately and doesn't get stuck at this point.  Do I need to do something in UNRAID to rediscover the new hardware/drivers?  I also notice that when it finally does bootup IPv4 Address says "not set" but the webgui does work with the static IP that is assigned.

2) The USB port on the back of the MBD-X11SDV used for keyboard doesn't seem to work once UNRAID is booting/booted.  Could this be related to the hardware change and #1?  Seems maybe driver related?

I dont think i want to rebuild the licensed USB key but open to suggestions to fix.

Thanks,

Skip

• Solution
25 minutes ago, Skipdog said:

Do I need to do something in UNRAID to rediscover the new hardware/drivers?

Not usually.

26 minutes ago, Skipdog said:

I also notice that when it finally does bootup IPv4 Address says "not set" but the webgui does work with the static IP that is assigned.

Do you have multiple NICs? If yes post the diags, you can also just reset the network settings, if it boots correctly with a stock flash drive, just resetting them may fix it, rename /boot/config/network.cfg to bak, and any other network*.cfg files that exist and reboot.

Ah- just figured the slow boot issue was indeed tied to the network interfaces being port up but down.  Bootup times are now restored and good!

This does leave the USB issue which isn't critical at all.  I do see that UNRAID is seeing the low speed keyboard connected.

Skip

edit:  Bus 001 Device 003 Port 1-2 ID 04f2:1125 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Asus Keyboard

Edited by Skipdog
52 minutes ago, Skipdog said:

This does leave the USB issue which isn't critical at all.  I do see that UNRAID is seeing the low speed keyboard connected.

Does is work on a different port? Also since it's an F model it should have IPMI, just in case you are not aware, you could use that instead of a physical keyboard.

Hi JorgeB,

Yes IPMI works great.  I went ahead and updated BIOS to 2.0 which i think reset BIOS completely.  I went in and played with the legacy USB support settings.  Legacy USB was already enabled and when I disable it -- it won't boot UNRAID USB.  Not a huge deal- it seems like the X11SDV-4C-TLN2F has issues with USB lower power devices like keyboards/mice and UNRAID.  Oh, and yes I did try back of motherboard USB, and i plugged in front USB cable and tried those.  They all do the same thing.  I appreciate your help!

Skip

• Like 1