AM4 motherboard with IPMI?

I was recently given an AM4 Ryzen 3600x and figured it would be good to use to upgrade my unraid server. Currently have an integrated motherboard with intel zeon-d 5120, which is pretty underpowered.

Any suggestions for a motherboard for the Ryzen 3600x? Biggest desire is IPMI as my server is buried in a closet without a monitor. Lower cost is better!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ASRock Rack has a few options good in mATX and a few different chipsets.

I'm using an X570d4u with a 5600x - no issues, though a little obscure where some settings are in the bios when I was using an HBA - only time I've had to sort out how to attach a monitor was when the bios upgrade left things wonky and I had to go find the settings to fix this, otherwise everything has worked perfectly using IPMI. I've ditched that and just use the onboard SATA plus an m.2 > 6 SATA adapter. x710 dual SFP+ card in the mix too, 5 SSD and 5 Ultrastar 16tb, 1 m.2 nvme. Idles around 45w with a usb device attached tracking my electricity usage at the meter (e.g. power company reading) and HomeAssistant docker running (this is worth a few W).

4 hours ago, Smitty2k1 said:

Thanks, that board looks great but about $300

I have three Unraid servers (all Intel CPU based) and all have Asrock boards; two Asrock Rack server boards with IPMI and one Asrock consumer board in which I have a Geekworm KVM-A8 PiKVM for remote management.

Yes, server boards with IPMI are a bit pricier than the consumer models but I have found them to be worth it.  I have also found Asrock Rack server board support to be excellent and very responsive any time I had a question.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:13 PM, Smitty2k1 said:

Thanks, that board looks great but about $300. More than I wanted to spend but I suppose that's just the cost of boards with IPMI. I'll have to consider if it's really worth the upgrade over my budget low power zeon-d build.

Yup. the x470 or b450 variants are a bit less but... trade-offs, features... it's not going to get you the best efficiency either (relative to what's possible with Intel).

5 hours ago, _cjd_ said:

it's not going to get you the best efficiency either (relative to what's possible with Intel).

Not sure any potential efficiency gains can overcome the price difference of a free CPU in this situation over the lifetime of the system.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2024 at 3:21 AM, _cjd_ said:

ASRock Rack has a few options good in mATX and a few different chipsets.

I'm using an X570d4u with a 5600x - no issues, though a little obscure where some settings are in the bios when I was using an HBA - only time I've had to sort out how to attach a monitor was when the bios upgrade left things wonky and I had to go find the settings to fix this, otherwise everything has worked perfectly using IPMI. I've ditched that and just use the onboard SATA plus an m.2 > 6 SATA adapter. x710 dual SFP+ card in the mix too, 5 SSD and 5 Ultrastar 16tb, 1 m.2 nvme. Idles around 45w with a usb device attached tracking my electricity usage at the meter (e.g. power company reading) and HomeAssistant docker running (this is worth a few W).

May I ask if you are running with any graphic cards with IPMI?

I currently have a 3600X + 1060 windows server and want to change to Unraid, I'm not sure if I can use IPMI to manage the server without graphic card with 3600X

16 hours ago, Nidhoggur said:

May I ask if you are running with any graphic cards with IPMI?

I currently have a 3600X + 1060 windows server and want to change to Unraid, I'm not sure if I can use IPMI to manage the server without graphic card with 3600X

No graphics card. Nothing even connected to the VGA port. I have used the VGA port a couple times, still no video card needed. If your current system will boot without a video card, you could use one only to set things up then pull it. I wanted a couple other things (ECC support....) pushing me to a server board... Not sure if it's worth it or not in the end.

5 hours ago, _cjd_ said:

No graphics card. Nothing even connected to the VGA port. I have used the VGA port a couple times, still no video card needed. If your current system will boot without a video card, you could use one only to set things up then pull it. I wanted a couple other things (ECC support....) pushing me to a server board... Not sure if it's worth it or not in the end.

Thanks, I'll try install with a spare graphic card for installation then pull it out, hope it can work ;)