SATA HGST Drive not detected when connected to LSI SAS9211-8I

I picked up a used HGST Ultrastar HE8.  unRAID doesn't detect it when it's connected via the LSI HBA card.  It is detected when it's connected directly via motherboard SATA.  Does anyone have an idea why? 

I tried two different sata connectors coming off the LSI card.  One of the 4 connectors was already in use.  So I doubt it's the cable.

Side note:  This drive has a very slow spin-up time.  So I don't recommend it for anyone who's set their drives to spin down frequently.

15 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Is the power cable you are using the same with the LSI and onboard? Also make sure the LSI is using the latest firmware.

The LSI card is powered by the PCIe slot. It's one ATX power supply powering everything.  If the firmware version from 2016 is the newest, then I'm on the latest.  I couldn't locate anything newer.

I decided to use the hard drive as USB backup drive instead of putting in the array.  So the issue is largely moot now.  I guess I'll avoid enterprise drives for now.

13 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

4Kn and 512e format?  I'll let the LSI HBA experts comment.

Before connecting it to the system, I tested the drive over usb and formatted it to NTFS with default parameters. 

I've put data on it now.  So I can't try it unformatted.

4Kn and 512e does not have anything to do with the filesystem format.  It is the hardware low level formatting for how sector size is mapped to the physical sectors of the drive.

What is the exact model # of the drive and LSI card?

Edited by ConnerVT

I double checked the firmware on the LSI card and it's 20.00.07.00.  Which is the newest as far as I know.   (see image of boot screen below).   So who knows.  Maybe it's a motherboard issue.

The one other thing I should've tried is checking the unRAID error log to see if gave any hints.  I've crammed the drive into a shucked WD enclosure.  And it's not worth the hassle the remove and check it at this point.   

459330306_uuSNWEc7T96LXvs_EwnjHw(Medium).thumb.png.35f80ed28c3b8a33acd4da6073462a44.png