We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Tempted by unRAID. Some queries first.

Largoh

I've been running FreeNAS 7 on an old Dell for my NAS needs.

Recently I've had issues doing some stuff I wanted to do and the box seems to have corrupt in some way so all is not working as it should.

I thought it was a good opportunity to start a fresh, so I bought myself a Intel D525MW Atom D525 1.8GHz VGA Out Mini-ITX Motherboard, 2GB RAM and a new Case. I'll but putting a single 500GB HDD in there for now.

Since FreeNAS was so awkward to do anything advanced, I'm looking for alternatives and have come across unRAID, in particular, unRAID 5.

I've looked around the forums and it seems that unRAID will do most of what I want, but I have a few questions before I decide on unRAID for sure.

So, this is what I want to do with my box:

- SABnzdb (Found a plugin for this, but what version is it?)

- SickBeard (Found a plugin for this)

- WebUI (Built in I beleive, but how much control do you have over the box?)

- Shell access (SSH)

- FTP access

- Web Server

- Windows Shares

- Media Server (Used to use fuppes with FreeNAS which was rubbish but did the job, would prefer a better solution for streaming to Xbox, PS3 and Android Tablet)

- shroudBNC

- Compiling

- Other applications.

ShroudBNC is what I was trying to install on the freenas when it all went wrong. There was no make, there was no gmake. I tried adding these but got more and more errors until the box finally crashed and now just doesn't operate as it used to. So how is unRAID for installing other stuff that has no plugin? I don't see a lot of demand for shroudBNC for example, so will have to compile that myself. Is there functionality to add processes on startup?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but time is short for me currently so I don't have time to test out all aspects of the many different NAS OSs out there.

I appreciate your answers :)

EDIT: Is it also possible to get unRAID to run and boot from a HDD partition rather than USB? I only have 1 USB and it's my daily use one. Not shelling out for a new one tbh.

easy enough to install via a couple different places.  There are unMenu package manager packages I have created for SAB, SB, and CP.  The SAB package uses the newest version of SAB the last time I checked.

Honestly, not much.  The whole point of unRAID is to act like a minimal NAS and do it well.

- Shell access (SSH)

can be installed

- FTP access

vsftpd is installed but not configured.  You will have to do that manually as there is no web interface for that.

- Web Server

One can be installed

- Windows Shares

SMB is installed, along with NFS and AFP

- Media Server (Used to use fuppes with FreeNAS which was rubbish but did the job, would prefer a better solution for streaming to Xbox, PS3 and Android Tablet)

PS3MediaServer, AirVideo (if applicable), Subsonic (I think).  All have to be installed manually (except for Airvideo, there is an unMenu package to help with that).

- shroudBNC

Honestly not sure.  Probably a lot of dependecies to install first but you can probably get it working

- Compiling

There is a GCC package in unMenu that will install that sort of stuff

- Other applications.

That is a very open ended "question." Most anything can be installed, it is just a matter of figuring out how.

So how is unRAID for installing other stuff that has no plugin?

The go script

I don't see a lot of demand for shroudBNC for example, so will have to compile that myself. Is there functionality to add

processes on startup?

Make a plugin like other are starting to do, or put the install commands in the go script.

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but time is short for me currently so I don't have time to test out all aspects of the many different NAS OSs out there.

my suggestion... by more ram, a faster CPU and run something like an unbuntu server.  I love unRAID and most everything you mentioned can be done, but you are installing a lot of things on a tiny atom board.

EDIT: Is it also possible to get unRAID to run and boot from a HDD partition rather than USB? I only have 1 USB and it's my daily use one. Not shelling out for a new one tbh.

Possible, but you will only be able to run the free version of unRAID.  If you want to pay for unRAID you will need to have a USB drive GUID to register.

easy enough to install via a couple different places.  There are unMenu package manager packages I have created for SAB, SB, and CP.  The SAB package uses the newest version of SAB the last time I checked.

Honestly, not much.  The whole point of unRAID is to act like a minimal NAS and do it well.

- Shell access (SSH)

can be installed

- FTP access

vsftpd is installed but not configured.  You will have to do that manually as there is no web interface for that.

- Web Server

One can be installed

- Windows Shares

SMB is installed, along with NFS and AFP

PS3MediaServer, AirVideo (if applicable), Subsonic (I think).  All have to be installed manually (except for Airvideo, there is an unMenu package to help with that).

- shroudBNC

Honestly not sure.  Probably a lot of dependecies to install first but you can probably get it working

- Compiling

There is a GCC package in unMenu that will install that sort of stuff

- Other applications.

That is a very open ended "question." Most anything can be installed, it is just a matter of figuring out how.

So how is unRAID for installing other stuff that has no plugin?

The go script

I don't see a lot of demand for shroudBNC for example, so will have to compile that myself. Is there functionality to add

processes on startup?

Make a plugin like other are starting to do, or put the install commands in the go script.

my suggestion... by more ram, a faster CPU and run something like an unbuntu server.  I love unRAID and most everything you mentioned can be done, but you are installing a lot of things on a tiny atom board.

Possible, but you will only be able to run the free version of unRAID.  If you want to pay for unRAID you will need to have a USB drive GUID to register.

Thanks for your reply mate. It's much appreciated.

I'll be more than likely running Ubuntu Server on it now. If I don't get on with that then I'll be trying unRAID.

UnRAID seems awesome, but I think I'm pushing a small box to it's max and beyond so need an OS that will easily handle that and has lots of documentation.

Seriously ... sorry but if you can't afford a 2gb USB you might want to consider a new hobby.

It's not a question of being able to afford it.  ::)

I'm not paying out for something I don't need. I don't like running from USB, I prefer OS's to be on the HDD.

That a problem?

I'm not paying out for something I don't need. I don't like running from USB, I prefer OS's to be on the HDD.

That a problem?

As prostuff says, it doesn't RUN from the USB.  It does however load from USB.  Once loaded the USB sits there unused.  The only read/writes that occur with the USB are when making configuration changes youself. 

Running from an HDD is possible, but it is extra work, not officially supported, wastes storage space, wastes SATA slots, and is just generally not worth it.  The ONLY thing you gain is boot speed (for a basic unraid install; ignoring other specialty installs).  My box currently boots in ~30 seconds or less and I have not rebooted in 3 months.

I run a test system with two 1Tb drives, using an old 40gig drive for booting unraid.

Setup was just as easy as setting up a USB drive.  Only difference was putting syslinux onto the drive.  Had to use

syslinux.exe x: -maf

where x: is drive letter of hard drive you want to use as boot.

Label the drive as UNRAID, and put into new unraid system and set bios to boot from this drive.

ALL A.O.K.  free unraid allows for two data drives and one parity drive.  MAX!

my 2 cents. ;)

Archived