Failed Disk Drive - Help!

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi All,

I have an old 6TB drive I recently installed into my Unraid server (I now know i should have probably chucked it away)

This drive was only installed a week ago and has now failed.. I also made some changes to the hardware so it may have been a connection issue.

• Status on main page - Device is disabled, contents emulated.
  • The HDD is likely empty - although it says 41.9gb used.
  • I cant figure out how to check the emulated version.
  • I think i should probably remove this disk all together? I dont have another one to replace it with and dont really need the extra space yet.

Note: I already stopped the array once, removed the disk and re inserted it in a different slot. I have also started a read check... as i said, no idea......

Please can someone help me out, I am only learning here, next to no idea what im doing lol.

MB006000GWWQT_WSE0Q626-20240209-0822.txt

Edited by Daver1

I have followed Unraid guid to rebuild the drive on to itself (seems like the disk is ok for now) There has been some warnings:Warning.PNG.b25631367fea8bfef61c0774ebed939d.PNG

I want to check what is stored on this disk and potentially remove it once the rebuild is complete.

• Daver1 changed the title to Failed Disk Drive - Help!
  • Solution

Disk was already disabled at boot, so we can't see what happened, SMART looks OK but has very few attributes, is this a white label disk? You can replace/swap cables and rebuild the disk or if you prefer do a new config without and resync parity.

The disk is not white lable - do you mean repaired? It was from a work server and was given to me. it is not a very high performing disk tho.. think ill junk it.

Is it straight forward to remove a disk from service if there is not much data on the disk?

As it stands I have reinstalled the dodgy 6TB disk - I wont be writing any new data to the server for now - I would like to figure out/understand how to see what is stored on this disk, if nothing then i will remove it from service. Probably use it as an external drive for large data transfer.

I have just purchased a "new" 10TB and 6TB HDD - My friend is putting his media library on to them - i was thinking about deleting all my data (Movies/TV shows) and then transfering the new data on to my server. After that i will format the New 10 / 6 TB drives and add them to the array.

I hadnt thought about it in to much detail but I assumed i could just delete all the Files from the Plex Folders - Job Done...