Virtual machines skipping for up to 3 seconds

I have been running unraid for a few years, but due to a move I put my server in storage over the past year or so. I finally started it back up again, and redid everything from scratch with the latest version of unraid.

Everything went well until I tried creating a virtual machine. I started with an Ubuntu VM and had some issues getting it working, things would just take forever or time out (force quit/wait).

I installed a Windows VM and also noticed that applications I normally use would just hang for about 3 seconds randomly. Trying to open a menu, clicking through in a dialog, etc and it would freeze.

I worked with some users on Discord and verified everything was setup correctly. Everything necessary was on my nvme drive (cache): system, domain, appdata, virtual machines, etc. I stopped all dockers by disabling docker and still vms struggled. I installed plugins to monitor temp of the system and it was always fine (the machine sits in a humidity controlled garage at 50 deg f year round). I finally ran a full memtest and it passed and i ran it again and it passed again.

So I decided as a test to install proxmox. Finally created a vm and... no issues. The thing runs smooth as heck. So I don't think this is my hardware. I'd stick with proxmox cept it doesn't have docker support and running unraid in a vm to run docker without array support seems just silly.

Right now I am exploring using portainer to run podman containers in an LXC and using proxmox directly to run vms but i'd rather get unraid to work.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I have been running unraid for a few years, but due to a move I put my server in storage over the past year or so. I finally started it back up again, and redid everything from scratch with the latest version of unraid.

Everything went well until I tried creating a virtual machine. I started with an Ubuntu VM and had some issues getting it working, things would just take forever or time out (force quit/wait).

I installed a Windows VM and also noticed that applications I normally use would just hang for about 3 seconds randomly. Trying to open a menu, clicking through in a dialog, etc and it would freeze.

I worked with some users on Discord and verified everything was setup correctly. Everything necessary was on my nvme drive (cache): system, domain, appdata, virtual machines, etc. I stopped all dockers by disabling docker and still vms struggled. I installed plugins to monitor temp of the system and it was always fine (the machine sits in a humidity controlled garage at 50 deg f year round). I finally ran a full memtest and it passed and i ran it again and it passed again.

So I decided as a test to install proxmox. Finally created a vm and... no issues. The thing runs smooth as heck. So I don't think this is my hardware. I'd stick with proxmox cept it doesn't have docker support and running unraid in a vm to run docker without array support seems just silly.

Right now I am exploring using portainer to run podman containers in an LXC and using proxmox directly to run vms but i'd rather get unraid to work.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Do you and tips and tweaks installed and set scaling to Performance, add diagnostics.

image.png