Pleasant suprise from WD

I sent 4 2tb WD20EARS drives in for warranty and got 4 Recertified 3tb WD30EZRX drives back all under the same 3 year warranty. Nice since I was getting ready to start buying my first 3tb drives.

I got the same thing sent in 2 2TB drives 1 EADS 1 EARS.  Got 2TB EADS and 3TB EZRX.  Complicated my plans because I'm using 4.7 which doesn't support 3TB.  Had to add to WHSv1 server as drive external to drive pool in place of 2TB EARS I had there.  Also had to buy GPT driver for XP to install in WHSv1 as well.

sent in a WD20EARS Green drive.

According to the website, my new WD2002FAEX (Caviar Black) drive will show up here tomorrow!  :D

I had the same thing happen.  I don't know what I'm going to do with the new drive.  All the drives in my server are green drives.  Maybe I'll replace my parity drive with it.

That's your best option if you want the speed boost from the 7200 RPM parity drive.  If you are more concerned with saving power, then you could assign the 7200 RPM drive as a data drive and keep only archive data on it, so that it almost never spins up.  A final use would be to use it as a cache drive/warm spare.

• 2 weeks later...

similar thing here.  RMA'd a green drive WD20EARS and got back a Black WD2002FAEX.  re certified i assume.

Only problem is the green drive had 876 days left on warranty, the black drive is showing 143 days.

Maybe they consider this normal.  Seems a tad unfair though.  Haven't called them yet.

similar thing here.  RMA'd a green drive WD20EARS and got back a Black WD2002FAEX.  re certified i assume.

Only problem is the green drive had 876 days left on warranty, the black drive is showing 143 days.

Maybe they consider this normal.  Seems a tad unfair though.  Haven't called them yet.

You can have the warranty adjusted to be 3 or 5 years from the date of purchase, not from the date of manufacture.

• 2 weeks later...