Included disks or Excluded disks? What to use?

Hi everyone,

I currently use Unraid 4.7.

After adding some harddisks to my array I decided to create a user-share called Movies2. I used the following settings:

Allocation method: Most-free

Spli-level: 3

Included disks; disk4,disk5

Excluded disks: disk1,disk2,disk3

Use cache disk: Yes

The thing is that Movies2 isn't created on any of the included disks (disk4 or disk5) but on disk2 (one of the excluded disks).

Am I doing something wrong (syntax error in included or excluded disks line). Or is my whole interpretation of how this works totally wrong.

What will be the best and fastest way to move files inside the array to the above mentioned user share obeying to the rules set up as above. So that the files will be written, equally divided, on disk4 and disk5.

Can this be done with Midnight Commander?

Movies2 will be created when it's needed. If it already exists on disk2 it will not be removed nor any of its contents. New files will be written to the included disks.

Movies2 didn't exist on any disk. When I copied a small jpg file to the share it appeared on disk5 but when I copied 3 DVD-rips to the share they appeared on disk2.

What will be the best and fastest way to move files inside the array to the above mentioned user share obeying to the rules set up as above. So that the files will be written, equally divided, on disk4 and disk5.

Can this be done with Midnight Commander?

Yes midnight commander is the easiest tool to use.

since the array saw the first "movies2" folder on disk2, it used that one.

in the past i have sometimes had to stop and restart the array after making the change to get its attention to stop using "disk2" after making your exclude attributes.

Archived