Hardware requirements

dpj

Since my synology DS415+ has died, i'm searching for something new. So Synology again? TrueNas? Unraid?

So i readed some information about Synology, and i discovered that my used disks will not be supported anymore. Hmm waste of money, to trow away my good 4 disks. (not very big, but till now it was sufficient). So then i was further looking, installed truenas on an desktop, to see how that system felt. hmmm Mwa.. not realy my cup of tea. So then i tried Unraid. install didn't go very nice. But at the end it was up and running. And it feels great. Very user friendly. Many options. First I started with discovering the options i had also in the DSM software. And i founded. So, that part is done. But next step. The hardware.

I want some hardware, which can grow with my future needs. For now: it needs to store 4 disks, and energy efficient. So i found a nice case. the Jonsbo N3. 8 disks can be put inside, itx motherboard. Great! hmm, is needs an fxs powersuply, and those are not realy efficient. So searched furter, and found now the Fractal Design Node 804. 8 disks can be stored, and an extra 2.5 inch disks on the bottom. Great! That part is cleared too!.

Then the PSU. searched. (in the past i have never build my own pc or nas etc). And i found out the Corsair RX550x is very energy effient. To bad, not in production anymore. But i'm lucky, i can get my hand on one!. that one is also covered.

Next: Motherboard / CPU.

What's an good choice for mother board, which is efficient and off course a good combination with Unraid? I found Topton motherboard with 5105 and 6005 processors on it, topton n100 and n305 processor. Or is an intel celeron processor an better choice?

I think an motherboard with 2 m.2 slots for NVME would be great. NVME should be very energy efficient i think?. and i have 2 ssd disks (256 gb) for caching which i can put on the bottom of the case.

(In the future i will replace my disks with platters for SSD disks offcourse, but for now i have to live with the inefficient platter disks.) and i can grow to 8 disks in the future. Who has some good advice. is there somewhere out an site for comparing the energy consumption of motherboards? 

I hope someone can point me to the right direction. Thanks!

by the way will 4 platterdisks, and 6 ssds (future) and 2 nvme's tot much for 550 watt psu do you think? or is it enough....