Not sure where to post this

SWright

I'm 19 and I really enjoy anything to do with PCs. I have recently came across the joys of home servers/network and the benefits.

But I have no idea where to start is there any books you could recommend?

I have been reading "Raj's Prototype Designs" thread. I think I am going to try to replicate something like the "22 Drive Beast (rackmount)" I don't see the point in doing it cheap if I am serious about it. I want the best I can. I know there will be better than this, but this is an easy guideline for me to follow.

The main reasons I want a server for are:

- Sharing files over my home computers/TV/PS3 (Movies, Music & Pictures)

- Torrents

- General Storage of all my movies

- Storage of games

- Something like this would also be perfect (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3024.msg36276#msg36276)

I'm very new to this, though I would love to become an active/experienced member of the community.

I guess trial and error is a good way to learn, but if I am going to do an expensive build first, I would rather not do the usual trial and error haha.

I don't want it on 24/7 either, I see some people do keep them on.

I'm 19 and I really enjoy anything to do with PCs. I have recently came across the joys of home servers/network and the benefits.

But I have no idea where to start is there any books you could recommend?

I have been reading "Raj's Prototype Designs" thread. I think I am going to try to replicate something like the "22 Drive Beast (rackmount)" I don't see the point in doing it cheap if I am serious about it. I want the best I can. I know there will be better than this, but this is an easy guideline for me to follow.

The main reasons I want a server for are:

- Sharing files over my home computers/TV/PS3 (Movies, Music & Pictures)

- Torrents

- General Storage of all my movies

- Storage of games

- Something like this would also be perfect (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3024.msg36276#msg36276)

I'm very new to this, though I would love to become an active/experienced member of the community.

I guess trial and error is a good way to learn, but if I am going to do an expensive build first, I would rather not do the usual trial and error haha.

I don't want it on 24/7 either, I see some people do keep them on.

If you really want a "Go big or Go home" type server you will want to go ESXi with unRAID as a VM.

Your statement about not wanting it on all the time kind of rules that out though.

I'm not saying running it all the time is impossible. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can right now, so I can see what is needed.

Well then... you might want to check out this thread and this thread.

I just recently moved my unRAID server to and ESXi based setup and am loving it.  I plan to post a similar (though not as detailed) writeup as what Johnm on my setup, I just want to make sure everything is stable and see if there are any gotcha's with my pieces and parts (have already found one I think but it was easy to work around/with).

What exactly is the advantage of ESXi based unraid?

now that is the question..

It really depends on your user level and how much computing you do.

As severs get more powerful, they are now honestly wasted resources.

modern hardware now outperforms the OS and dedicated application servers (in most cases).

Most of the time an unraid server is using less then 10% of its resources. as are most other servers (obviously the are exceptions such as large scale corporate exchange  or SQL boxes can eat gobs of CPU, RAM and DISK IO) .

by virtualizing unRAID, you can then tap the rest of the resources to run other servers/desktops on the same server as your unRAID.

each server/desktop serves a function (or 2) and keeps them split.

it can also save electricity if you run multiple servers.

While many people prefer crashplan to back up their desktops, i prefer whs2011 (I also use it for my remote portal). to have a separate server just for WHS2011 eats a lot of extra electricity plus the cost of another server. by slaping it into ESXi, i combine 2 servers into one power wise in addition to shared resources.

I run 8 other servers on the same ESXi box including my domain controller. 2 ESXi boxes replaced about 10 servers and 3 desktops for me (really need to post a photo of my now idle server farm). I'll admit this box is power hungry and expensive, but think about what 9 individual servers and electricity per year would cost...

Most people that work with servers for a living would freak out if you use your storage servers for another purpose.. say tossing an email or SQL server on top of it.

ESX allows you keep each server on the same box, but in completely different "space".

for example, crashing your exchange server wont take down your storage server...

Several people run applications on their unraid servers that are usually recompiled by other forum members.

ESX gives you an option to actually load up a windows or *nix server on the same box and run an official version of the software instead of a user compiled version that might be out of date.

one example is some people run torrent applications. the would allow you to install your favorite version on an OS you you are comfortable with. You will not have to deal with the unRAID limitations or funky permissions or slowing down your file server.

I run a usenet client that could take my I7 to its knees because it will eat all the available resources with its databases and raring/paring operations. by virtalizing it, i can put it on my unraid box and set its resources to exactly what i feel it should have and it wont eat the resources for the entire server.  now it plays nice so to say.

I keep hearing about people getting playback stuttering because of their downloading with their file server and excessive disk IO. not to mention taking an hour+ just to unpack one rared up bluray instead of the few minutes it should take.

Having a spare desktop comes in handy so many times.. a good example. i needed to make a virtual copy of my unRAID flashdrive yesterday.

I made a snapshot of a virtual win7 VM. installed winimage 30day trial. made the virtual image, copied it to my unraid and then removed the win7 snapshot.

now it it thinks i never installed  winimage. it took all of 10 minutes and i did not pollute my main workstation with some trialware.

(the same thing goes for that questionable file you downloaded from the internet. Is it a virus or the real thing? Now you do not have to worry. just delete the image or snapshot after you test it and scan it)

one thing we don't utilize on the unRAId forums because you would need a pay version of ESX is redundancy.

you could have 2 or more servers hosting the same VM's and you get load balancing and crash protection, if a server crashes, you seamlessly get picked up by another server and keep on working.

Another thing ESXi is good for, training.. you can build entire test lab of servers on one ESXi box. you could replace an entire rack or 2 with 1 box. very handy if you are working on certifications.

you mess up, delete it and reload...

EDIT: Spelling fix.

For me it is the ability to run other VM's on the server while unRAID is standing on its own.  I can start/stop/restart my XP VM without effecting unRAID.  I can restart unRAID without effecting the XP VM.

Quite honestly it is freaking great.  I have a BluRay/DVD drive attached to the XP VM so that back up movies and then copy across to the unRAID VM.  it works a treat and allows me to remove quite a bit of VM related stuff from my MacBook Pro.

For me it is the ability to run other VM's on the server while unRAID is standing on its own.  I can start/stop/restart my XP VM without effecting unRAID.  I can restart unRAID without effecting the XP VM.

Quite honestly it is freaking great.  I have a BluRay/DVD drive attached to the XP VM so that back up movies and then copy across to the unRAID VM.  it works a treat and allows me to remove quite a bit of VM related stuff from my MacBook Pro.

Yep, one of my guests runs rips bluerays and runs handbrake then copies the files to my unraid box.

since we are talking vm I have a question.

1. I got the dual key package and have a 2nd key ready for something. I have also seen a case that holds only hdd with the power supply.

if I get 2 of these and fill both them up maxing out the pro licence can I run 2 vm of unraid on one machine?

since we are talking vm I have a question.

1. I got the dual key package and have a 2nd key ready for something. I have also seen a case that holds only hdd with the power supply.

if I get 2 of these and fill both them up maxing out the pro licence can I run 2 vm of unraid on one machine?

It really depends on the case... but yes. in theory you could run 2, 3 or 4 20 drive unraid servers on one ESXi box..

something like this would be what you need. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133047 it is a bit over priced and you can make one for about half the price.

this post covers that idea. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14521.0

I think it is also discussed in the atlas thread.

given the correct (and expensive) hardware, you could do this. but it cold end up costing about the same as buying a second server.

After reading the posts from Johnm/prostuff1 I think it's obviously the best way forward.

Why?

Everything you pretty much listed other than torrent client (which exists for unraid, right?) is essentially just a dedicated file server.

My point being - most of us here I think use a dedicated box for unraid to exclusively serve data to other platforms.  The virtualization option is awesome - if you really want to build a higher end machine to do multiple things at once. 

Your original post - other than torrents, was all about data storage, not about ripping or needing XP VM's.

Oh and I love virtualization - where appropriate.

And for many this might be the right solution.

For me I wanted a low power, always-on, file server.  I got the watts down to like 34W, have IPMI for total headless control...  An awesome solution for me.

Some may need other functionality - and an ESXi solution is perfect for them.  I just think for most people who want a fileserver, it's probably an unnecessary waste of money (for hardware, and for the extra power to run the server).

Hi SWright, welcome to the unRAID community.  To address your original questions, you don't need a book- all of the information you'll need is found in these forums and the unRAID wiki.  Here are the best places to start:

A quick overview of the build process and what you can expect:

- unRAID.me

Choosing your hardware:

- Raj's Prototype Designs - (I know you've already seen this)

- Power Supply Thread

- Enclosure Thread

Configuring your server from the first time you turn it on:

- Configuration Tutorial

The only part of the process that is largely undocumented is the physical building of the server.  If you have build\t computers before, it will be familiar territory.  If not, feel free to start a thread about your build in the Hardware forum and we'll coach you through the building process as best we can.

I believe the ESXi option comes down to this - if you are going to splurge on a top-of-the-line kit, you may as well choose a kit that is compatible with ESXi, even if you don't plan to use it.  Johnm and prostuff1 can tell you all about the rather specific hardware specifications that ESXi requires.  On the other hand, if you want a simpler machine that just stores and protects your files while running torrents and a handful of simple add-ons, then you may as well save money on less expensive hardware (such as those in my 'Budget' designs).

Thanks for the links, they'll help me a lot.

Right now I am living with my parents, but I am in work. So I don't have much money going out on bills etc. I just pay internet/electric that's about it.

So I can save money easily, not sure if I should build a powerful server in-case I want to play around with it in the near future. Or just build one that will be good enough.

I think I will go buy some then. I will also make a thread in the build section, just in-case I get stuck. Also I know about the flooding effecting prices. Well, my local shops prices haven't gone up but they are restricting the amount you can buy.

I will just get two and send my girlfriend in after to get two more.

• 10 months later...

I'm sorry to dig this up out of its grave but I have one question/concern as far as running unRAID on ESXi

Permissions.

Currently everything I run (SAB, CP2, Sickbeard) all run as nobody, and as such, all my things are chowned by nobody:users.

anything I create from a windows machine on a unraid share has weird chmods and will typically be chowned by whateveruser:whateveruser.

the problem arises here: Is there a way for the windows boxe when they create files, to create them with the chown to whateveruser:users so that it's not limited to just whateveruser? This is because most of my shares are chmodded at 770 or 740 and if it's not the same EXACT user that accesses that share, he can't get access. I don't care much for the file side of it, I care more for the fact that I'm going to outsource SAB/CP/Plex/etc to a separate VM, and I imagine it too, will have the permission problem.

anybody have any clue how to fix it, or even what the heck I'm tlaking about? I might just try to setup the trio+Plex on my laptop using the unraid as storage and see if it works... it just might!

• 2 months later...

Well I am going to give this a bump because I have the EXACT same question... I ended up going back to 4.7 and moving Plex onto a windows system, but now I am going to try ESXi.

I'm sorry to dig this up out of its grave but I have one question/concern as far as running unRAID on ESXi

Permissions.

Currently everything I run (SAB, CP2, Sickbeard) all run as nobody, and as such, all my things are chowned by nobody:users.

anything I create from a windows machine on a unraid share has weird chmods and will typically be chowned by whateveruser:whateveruser.

the problem arises here: Is there a way for the windows boxe when they create files, to create them with the chown to whateveruser:users so that it's not limited to just whateveruser? This is because most of my shares are chmodded at 770 or 740 and if it's not the same EXACT user that accesses that share, he can't get access. I don't care much for the file side of it, I care more for the fact that I'm going to outsource SAB/CP/Plex/etc to a separate VM, and I imagine it too, will have the permission problem.

anybody have any clue how to fix it, or even what the heck I'm tlaking about? I might just try to setup the trio+Plex on my laptop using the unraid as storage and see if it works... it just might!

Well I am going to give this a bump because I have the EXACT same question... I ended up going back to 4.7 and moving Plex onto a windows system, but now I am going to try ESXi.

Permissions.

I have an XP VM that moves files to my user shares without issue.  My shares just use the default account that's created when the shares are set up (I haven't created any user accounts).