Not sure where to post this

SWright

After reading the posts from Johnm/prostuff1 I think it's obviously the best way forward.

Why?

Everything you pretty much listed other than torrent client (which exists for unraid, right?) is essentially just a dedicated file server.

My point being - most of us here I think use a dedicated box for unraid to exclusively serve data to other platforms.  The virtualization option is awesome - if you really want to build a higher end machine to do multiple things at once. 

Your original post - other than torrents, was all about data storage, not about ripping or needing XP VM's.

And the torrenting thing works like a charm with a basic plugin.. No need for virtualisation for:

- Couchpotato

- SickBeard

- Sabnzbd

- uTorrent

- Streaming video to mediaplayers

- Streaming video to apple devices (Airvideo)

Yeah I guess it just depends on the rest of your setup. I know for me I was having issues writing backups due to permissions, as well as accessing the drive (on another box) that had the files I wanted to scan for Plex. So I am going to go a little different direction and try it out...

Yeah I guess it just depends on the rest of your setup. I know for me I was having issues writing backups due to permissions, as well as accessing the drive (on another box) that had the files I wanted to scan for Plex. So I am going to go a little different direction and try it out...

The weird thing is that in basis I would like to do the same... Have very differentiated systems.. That makes for the most stable and easy to maintain system.

Issue is that my second passion is saving electricity (I actually work for an energy company in the Netherlands), I am on a continuous strive to bring down my electricity usage. At the moment my continuous baseload (the amount of energy that is continuously used) is at a level so low that my server (even if its very energy efficient) is a big part in it, so differentiating systems will basically just cost me more..

Thats where I am comming from :-)

And thats good for you !  For me, I have all this stuff running on one system and its like a freakin' orgasm... Stuff gets downloaded, categorised, presented in my media player without -any- issue..

My files get downloaded, etc just the same as yours, also without issue.

I had sab/sick/couchpotato/transmission all up and running, but every once in a while during a reboot one of them would hang during its start routine, and prevent the array from starting.  Many people have experienced the same thing - although I think Influencer has added some functionality to work around most bugs.  Another potential issue is that plugins generally download all the requirements at boot, if the resource required is offline, or that file has been removed/replaced with a differently named version the plugin will fail to start. 

It's all great when everything works, but when it doesn't it's a pain.  Sounds like none of this has affected you, which is great.  I support a couple unRAID systems which run sab/sick/cp and have only had a couple issues with them in regards to start-up.  I probably reboot my unRAID box more than most people to be honest, moreso when I was releasing a version of the transmission plugin.