[expired] Seagate - Barracuda 2TB SATA Drive $74.99 @ Best Buy

Johnm

Best Buy (in store only!)

Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Desktops Retail box for $74.99

With the current shortage of drives, this is a good price. (it is so hard to say that when this drive was $55 3 weeks ago)

While it is not my favorite drive or Favorite store, This drive does do its job.

it is a bit faster then the WD EARS and has a 5 Year warranty

I do have a few of this model in my unRAId backup server and as my WHS2011 drives in my ESXi box.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+Barracuda+2TB+Internal+Serial+ATA+Hard+Drive+for+Desktops/9419382.p?id=1218102739460&skuId=9419382&st=2tb%20hard%20drives&cp=1&lp=6

I'm not sure if BB's site is wrong, or if they picked the wrong one, but the one I ended up with was the 64mb cache model.

if I google the part number on the box - st320005n4a1as-rk, it says it's 32mb cache, but the box clearly says 64mb cache & 3Gb/s data rate. 

Then I open the box - the drive itself, inside the sealed retail box, is a ST2000DL003.  That is a 6Gb/s, 64mb cache drive. 

Like I said - I'm not sure what happened here, but I think I got away with something...  YMMV

With the skyrocketing drive pricing, which doesn't look to come down any time soon, I talked myself into ordering one of these for pickup. I'll be curious to see exactly which model ends up in there when I pick it up on the way home tomorrow. It pains me to do a Seagate drive (much prefer Hitachi and/or WD), but in this market I'll take the deal I can get.

Thanks, OP.

Got 3 of this baby and going to try to get one more

1 from Microcenter last week @79.99

2 from local bestbuy @ 74.99

went there last night to get one more but they were out

was kind enough to tell me that there are appears to be 3 available at the other store 30 min drive

will go there today as it is close to my job and see if I can get one more

total size 6TB data 2TB parity  ::):P;D

now all I need is get my MB/CPU/PSU + unraid key and build my self a new rig..  ;):o :o :o :o

[sigh]

I KNOW I don't need more storage anytime soon.  I have 3.22TB free out of 4TB total, my burn rate is nearly zero at the moment, and much of the data is not "important" enough to care if I delete it to make more space.

I FEEL paranoid enough from all the industry talk that I think I will be heading out to my local BB to pic one up.

I WANT to upgrade my PC video card to play some games.

I NEED nothing!!!

So which will win out ... decisions decisions decisions :o

I know your feeling... I when I saw prices shooting up, i got 6 3TB drives.

I feel that should last me until Q2 2011 in case this lasts that long.

I can always start deleting Bluray rips and re-rip them at a later date or start dusting off my older 500GB-1TB drives i have in my trash pile.

OK, picked up the drive on the way home. It is, in fact, a ST2000DL003 "Barracuda Green" drive with the 64mb cache inside.

This one: http://goo.gl/uGHwv

Which is how it's indicated on the front of the box. On the back, however, the sticker says ST320005N4A1AS, and the product #'s don't match. The serial #'s do, though. Curious. Now, to hook it up and start a pre-clear.

I stopped at BB on my way home last night and grabbed the last two of these on the shelf. Started preclearing them and server crashed, doing one at a time now and seems ok, 15 hours in and all is good on first drive. I picked them up more for the what if factor and not because i needed the space just yet. Like others, i didnt want to be in a situation where my only option was paying $200 to replace a failed disk.

I stopped at BB on my way home last night and grabbed the last two of these on the shelf. Started preclearing them and server crashed, doing one at a time now and seems ok, 15 hours in and all is good on first drive. I picked them up more for the what if factor and not because i needed the space just yet. Like others, i didnt want to be in a situation where my only option was paying $200 to replace a failed disk.

How much RAM does your server have?  I've found that preclearing multiple 2TB drives simultaneously requires at least 2GB of RAM.

I also tried to buy a couple of these drives last night.  It seems that I bought the last drive in all of northern California and northern Nevada...

How much RAM does your server have?  I've found that preclearing multiple 2TB drives simultaneously requires at least 2GB of RAM.

I also tried to buy a couple of these drives last night.  It seems that I bought the last drive in all of northern California and northern Nevada...

I have 4GB. I was also creating a new section in Plex while the 2 preclears were running, so that may have had something to do with it. When i first built the server i was able to easily preclear 3 2TB EARS drives at the same time. 1st drive should be done soon, i'll start second one and see what happens, but im sure it will be fine.

OK, picked up the drive on the way home. It is, in fact, a ST2000DL003 "Barracuda Green" drive with the 64mb cache inside.

This one: http://goo.gl/uGHwv

Which is how it's indicated on the front of the box. On the back, however, the sticker says ST320005N4A1AS, and the product #'s don't match. The serial #'s do, though. Curious. Now, to hook it up and start a pre-clear.

I also have the DL003 drive in the box with ST320005N4A1AS on the outside of the box.