Pricing Updates

I have been seeing users on multiple channels just moaning and complaining all day today about the new annual pricing for updates.

I just don't understand why people can't be more supportive, but would rather tear down a small company that is benefitting so many? It is plain to me they are not doing this to get rich. We should be so much more supportive.

I started my search for a NAS software back in 2012 or 2013. I came across unRAID then, but I could not wrap my head around running the OS on a USB drive when I had a fully functional 240GB SSD drive, purchased for the OS. I ended up going with OpenMediaVault. I was able to configure it with all the apps I wanted and it ran fine until one day a reboot couldn't find my data. I ended up starting over again and then a year later it happened again. This time, I looked into the issue and found that it was just the OS that was corrupt. I was able to restore the OS with a backup and my data was still there. Another year later, and guess what? At this point, I decide OMV is not reliable enough and end up using FreeNAS. This ran fine with no data loss for two years. But, I was never able to get it running with all the apps I had running in OMV. So, in January 2019 I downloaded a trial of unRAID and was up and running in minutes. I was already familiar with docker, so was very happy to see it implemented in unRAID. In fact, I don't think I have seen another webgui that allows you to manage docker containers as well. About 4 years ago, I purchased all new equipment and started a new unRAID server. I actually bought another key and left the old key in the old server that is still being used today by someone else. In fact, I am typing this on a Windows 10 VM running on my unRAID server. I use this server daily and unRAID saves me so much time and effort.

So, I just want to say to @limetech, the developers, and everyone that helps in these forums, especially those that have helped me in the past few years, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! You ALL are very much appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Eddie Seelke said:

I just don't understand why people can't be more supportive

But, but...

IT'S TIME TO PANIC!!!!

Seriously, I don't understand why some are so up in arms, but, I guess they have their reasons.  Change (any change) seems to be hard for many.  Personally, I am fine with the licensing changes as they don't impact me according to Limetech statements regarding existing Pro and Plus licenses.

Edited by Hoopster

I originally saw some panic on a Lemmy post. Decided to read the blog and saw that the devs are honoring the original commitment to legacy Pro users. This is what I would expect and appreciate LimeTech for doing. Even if I was asked to purchase (at a lower cost) an upgrade to the new pricing model, I would still do it. Unraid changed my life and simplified many things that I was doing manually, so it's literally a no brainer. I think this is a good thing because it gives additional revenue to the LimeTech team to build new features.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:10 AM, Eddie Seelke said:

running the OS on a USB drive

Just in case you still have this misconception.

The OS runs in RAM. The USB drive contains archives of the OS that are loaded into RAM at boot. Think of it as firmware. And the USB drive has settings you have made in the webUI so these can be reapplied at boot.

• Upvote 1

Plain and simple, it takes time and effort to maintain any piece of software, especially something as complex as Unraid. Doubly so in today's threat landscape.

Dev's of all software deserve a steady stream of revenue while implementing feature updates and patching vulnerabilities for existing customers. To expect free feature and security updates for life from a single purchase in this day and age is just unrealistic.

People spend thousands on updated hardware every year but expect the OS that runs their expensive server to be patched and have new features added monthly because they paid $80 7 years ago?

I have no problem paying for a service that I rely on.

• Like 2