We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

UPS conundrum

thebobs

I want to set up my UNRAID server and my WHS on a single APC SUA1000 SmartUPS that I have. I understand that I can configure the servers in a master/slave configuration, but in my case it may not work.  Both my UNRAID and WHS spend a large fraction of the day in S3 sleep. They are awake and asleep at different times so whichever I set as the master may not be awake when the ups indicates a shutdown is required.  If the other server happens to be on at the time it won't get the signal to power down. Do I have this right?

I did look into using an AP9617 network management card in my UPS which would allow the SUA100 to send the shutdown commands itself over the network.  It seems like this should works with APCUPSD and UNRAID (at least the APCUPSD manual discusses the possibility), but I don't think WHS supports this.

Any advice would be helpful.

I want to set up my UNRAID server and my WHS on a single APC SUA1000 SmartUPS that I have. I understand that I can configure the servers in a master/slave configuration, but in my case it may not work.  Both my UNRAID and WHS spend a large fraction of the day in S3 sleep. They are awake and asleep at different times so whichever I set as the master may not be awake when the ups indicates a shutdown is required.  If the other server happens to be on at the time it won't get the signal to power down. Do I have this right?

correct.

if the master is asleep, and the slave is on, the ups will run until out of juice taking the sleeping server and the turned on slave with it.

I did look into using an AP9617 network management card in my UPS which would allow the SUA100 to send the shutdown commands itself over the network.  It seems like this should works with APCUPSD and UNRAID (at least the APCUPSD manual discusses the possibility), but I don't think WHS supports this.

Any advice would be helpful.

the APC network software is so.. ugh.. cumbersome

APCUPSD should support it.. it might be better then the APC crap.

depending on how large your WHS, maybe you should leave it on 24x7?

WHS tends to do a lot when idol and backup clean up on mondays.

you could always get a second cheaper UPS.

It is probably bad to have a pc sleep that on a ups. if the power goes out. the PC wont wake even if you only have one PC on the UPS.

if you had a 3rd pc, like an atom or something that is always on, you could put that on the UPS also and have it "wake" then power off the servers cleanly.

I do something similar on my ESXi box to clean shut down all of my guests and a second physical unraid box.

Another thought.  When my unraid server "sleeps" it is actually executing the powerdown command. I then wake it with a magic packet when I need it. Will the ups turn it "off" to any greater degree than the powerdown command?  If no,t then I can set my WHS to serve as a master and the uraid server as a slave and things should work out.

Archived