Help with nextcloud for begginers 2024

Daver1

Hello all,

EDIT:

****** I have now made a bit of a guide towards the bottom of this page "My guide - by a beginner for a beginner." ******

Hoping to start this thread on installing nextcloud, for begginers.... if i can use advice from people here, to get a perfect and clean install then hopefully other can use this post also.

Best version for my application? - Onedrive replacment - backing up the below:

1. Documents

2. Audiobooks.

3. Archieved photos/videos

4. Current mobile phone gallary/albums/documents unsing auto upload.

5. Random files, from recipes to resumes.

I have tried out a couple now.

1. nextcloud mastercontainer aio was easy to get started - as a begginer i had struggles with clearing some of the warnings/errors.

2. nextcloud docker from linux was awesome but i couldnt figure out hot to add the ffmpeg (I want to have MP4 thumbnails)

3. nextcloud ffmpeg resulted in so many errors/warnings I decided that i would come to the pros? for advice.

I need to have video thumbnails, access from multiple PC's and phones (will have 2 users) and photos app for android. Other apps i am happy to install however none i can think of are necessary.

I aleady have Mariadb installed and a DNS set up ready to go. i have been through my unraid server using MC cleaning out any old nextcloud reminants so i am ready for the next and hopefully final hit at the install.

Edited by Daver1
  • Daver1 changed the title to Help with nextcloud for begginers 2024

Hi 👋 

I am using Nextcloud-ffmpeg and I do not spot any errors/warnings that in my opinion I should be worry about. 
I followed instruction from container support

but I think you are aware about it.
So what are those error you mentioned?

• Like 1

So I have cleaned up my Unraid server, removing all appdata etc from previous installs of nextcloud, Mariadb and nginx PM. I have now re installed Nginx, Mariadb, and nextcloud-ffmpeg.

fresh install gives below errors/warnings.

image.thumb.png.4a2714195387627b6f337435d8f6430d.png

I can easily fix the below:

1. Maint Window

2. Default Phone Region

3. Email Server Config

EDIT: below errors/warnings, I am work so i havent looked into these in detail yet.

image.png.61f5f613986243a90f553be6f565f1bd.png

Edited by Daver1

First point is about fact that you do not have ssl certificate on site. Take a look maybe here 

2nd point is to add redis database. Take a look 

about 3rd point I spotted it as well yesterday. But I think it’s nothing to be worry about.

So i set up the reverse proxy as per video (assume this will rectify the ssl) and it then asked me to add the trusted domain to the config file. I have added that to the best of my knowledge and now i have the redirected too many time issue... I should note that my reverse proxy works with Overseerr.

I have also tried with my DNS in both "DNS only" and "Proxied" configurations.

This is where i gave up last time to be honest.. I can still access NC locally.

redirect.png.697cd651ddf767ea2deb6ae9fe14ff5b.png393238199_redirect2.png.fc22e433477b3b37aea5d15ba5b92cd0.png240881805_redirect3.thumb.png.24d5786a10c2d3b6339bc562359e4638.png

Edited by Daver1

If You want to wipe out all configs for docker, after removing docker container, just delete appdata/<name of your container> folder and reinstall container. :)

Are you setting it with SSL certificate or not? out of configuration it look like you are setting it without.  I am not sure why you might have such issue.

Anyway many peoples are using nextcloud without SSL and just by typing IP address and port. Maybe it will suits you?

I have statred again and with some tips from Kilrah, i have managed to get up and running, i am just working through some errors...

Kilrah responded to me on another post so i will update this post with all of my findingas after (hopefull) i get my install clean.

BTW, thank you so much for your clear and patient tips!

OK, so i started a fresh install using advice from this forum..

1. Installed Nginx proxy manager

2. created a domain "nextcloud.mydomain.site"

3. installed docker container Mariadb (linuxserver container)

4. installed nextcloud-ffmpeg

I have fixed various warnings that i received on initial start up.

If any one else who is as uneducated as me wishes to hear how i did so please ask i will tell  my steps.

My guide - by a beginner for a beginner.

I am starting without any knowledge of how the Linux system works - for 12 months i have blindly tried to make things work and only now really started to learn what it is a am actually doing....

You will see, I have quoted many resourses, the videos are critical to help gain an understanding of what you are doing (as a begginer) 

This is what i did and although it may not be perfect I hope its easy for someone like me to follow.

1. You will need a subdomain, i followed this video by spaceinvaderone. I created mine 12 months ago...

You will want a subdomain such as "nextcloud.yoursubdomain.site"

2. I am using Nginx Proxy Manger.

- this is from the app tab

- jlesage template

NginxProxyManger.thumb.PNG.4a53985f06618f8133848d52cb141350.PNG

3. For this guide, I followed along with the below Spaceinvaderone guide. I didnt install SWAG as I am already using NGINX Proxy Manager. 

PLEASE READ THROUGH WHAT I HAVE BELOW BEFORE WATCHING THE VIDEO AND THEN USE THE VIDEO AS A GUIDE AND REFER TO MY NOTES AS THERE ARE DIFFERENCES.

IMPORTANT, Take your time, make sure the containers have fully installed and setup before moving on. Im not certain, but have a feeling that some on my initial problems came from rushing and moving on while Nextcloud was still installing.

4. Mariadb - Installed exactly as per video.

5. for my share, i personally used all disks (in the video he only uses disk 3)

6. For nextcloud i chose the Nextcloud-ffmpeg.

7. WAIT FOR NEXTCLOUD TO FINISH INSTALLING. YOU WILL SEE IN THE VIDEO THAT WE CAN GO INTO NEXTCLOUD LOG AND SEE WHEN IT HAS FINISHED INSTALLING.

8. log in  and set up nextcloud as per install video.

9. For the reverse proxy, you dont need to use SWAG (Swag was way easy to make a mistake and then for later use - complicated)

For setting up NGINX i have followed the below guide.

Note: You will need to port forward in your home router setup.

https: "external/outside/from" port 443 -- forwarded to -- (in my case) "internal/inside/to" port 18443

http: "external/outside/from" port 80 -- forwarded to -- (in my case) "internal/inside/to" port 1880

We set those ports (18443 and 1880) inside the nginx docker container.

NGINX is super easy to use, I use the WEB UI to setup a reverse proxy. I have only made changes to the 2 below tabs as you can see.

image.png.1335075f78f6c39e4d3285e9d2bf35b8.pngimage.png.c9c50a7d33a4b9f23e72fe246af9e973.png

10. To setup nextcloud-ffmpeg to work with NginxProxy Manager we need to edit the config file.

In Unraid, i opened terminal and tped the below:

nano /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud-ffmpeg/config/config.php

see my below config as example. (this is in the video guide but a different trusted Proxy is different)

note - your config may look different to this as you will have different domain names and passworsetc. your config will also change when nextclopud sets itself up.

image.thumb.png.5b79b58700f3872d6b7f0bc00ff2d8a6.png

11. as per video set up custom proxy.

hopefully you should be up and ruinning.

Warnings/errors after install:

No maint window = Add below to config.php:
'maintenance_window_start' => 17, 

the 17 in above is 5pm utc = 1am Perth Australia time.

No Default Phone Region set = Add below to config.php:
'default_phone_region' => 'AU',

Above is the Australian code - a quick google will tell you the correct code for your country. just google something like " nextcloud default phone regom country codes"

If anyone ever uses this guide and finds issues and or additional warnings, ill try my best to help out.. mainly i just google it and if i can ork it out I come onto unraid forum and ask.

Adding the fixes that i have added are highlighted in my config file below, i will also highlight where i have added the text to allow mp4 thumbnails.

Note: dont add anything i havent highlighted as it will likely have been auto populated by nextcloud during the install. I havent changed anythinels that is not highlighted.

in terminal again i enter: nano /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud-ffmpeg/config/config.php

image.thumb.png.92386193e1cbea18425a356efaa23586.png

image.png

Edited by Daver1
  • Like 1

Add this to NGINX in the advanced tab/custom nginx configuration to allow for large file transfers in nextcloud

proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_buffering off;
proxy_max_temp_file_size 16384m;
client_max_body_size 0;

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Daver1 said:

I have done my best here as a complete noob, and tips or things you think i should add or change please let me know?

Thank you for for your write up. If I see positive comments from others saying it was helpful, I'll probably move the whole thread back into the guides section instead of the lounge.

If you want to start a clean thread there with just the steps and notes instead of moving this thread, let me know.

As you now know, documentation is a weak point of Unraid, we appreciate anyone willing to take the time to do writeups that are helpful to others.

The reason your post was initially moved OUT of the guides area was that it was NOT a guide at that point, it was a request for support, hoping to turn into a guide.

20 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

Add this to NGINX in the advanced tab/custom nginx configuration to allow for large file transfers in nextcloud

proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_buffering off;
proxy_max_temp_file_size 16384m;
client_max_body_size 0;

I like this! not sure how to add it and those who my post are aimed at may not either..

I've just started to use dynamix file manager maybe using this?

any further tips on this? 

20 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Thank you for for your write up. If I see positive comments from others saying it was helpful, I'll probably move the whole thread back into the guides section instead of the lounge.

If you want to start a clean thread there with just the steps and notes instead of moving this thread, let me know.

As you now know, documentation is a weak point of Unraid, we appreciate anyone willing to take the time to do writeups that are helpful to others.

The reason your post was initially moved OUT of the guides area was that it was NOT a guide at that point, it was a request for support, hoping to turn into a guide.

I had not even thought to add it to the guides section.....

As you say lets see if a) anyone is trying to set this up, not already at a level much higher than me (thus my guide is irrlavant) or b) it has positive coments.

Thank you.