IOMMU on unRAID nested in ProxMox

Hi everyone,

i read the whole thread.....
i installed an unRAID vm on ProxMox as a test.
How can i enabled IOMMU in unRAID?

I understand that in previous versions of ProxMox it was perhaps possible but now with version 8 it is no longer possible?

I know it doesn't make sense but I wanted to try switching a GPU to a nested Win11 VM as a test via unRAID

On ProxMox host is all OK.....i think.....

It's possible?

unRAID_IOMMU.png.a115d4092413bdddaa7619d17ebc6f18.png

Edited by Zippi
4 hours ago, Zippi said:

Hi everyone,

i read the whole thread.....
i installed an unRAID vm on ProxMox as a test.
How can i enabled IOMMU in unRAID?

I understand that in previous versions of ProxMox it was perhaps possible but now with version 8 it is no longer possible?

I know it doesn't make sense but I wanted to try switching a GPU to a nested Win11 VM as a test via unRAID

On ProxMox host is all OK.....i think.....

It's possible?

unRAID_IOMMU.png.a115d4092413bdddaa7619d17ebc6f18.png

Not sure if this works. 

qm set 100 --args '-device intel-iommu,intremap=on,caching-mode=on -machine accel=kvm,kernel-irqchip=split'

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3784

15 hours ago, itimpi said:

No idea how you do it, but it needs to be enabled at the ProxMox level as there is no setting for this at the Unraid level.    Unraid will just query to see if it is available.

I know it needs to be enabled at the ProxMox level as there is no setting for this at the Unraid level but I was wondering if anyone had already tried 😀

18 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I had seen it but this command works only at the VM level?

I mean.....if it doesn't work it won't ruin anything at the ProxMox host level right?

Thank you!

Correct is is just passing args into the qemu binary for the vm that is being started

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, TeroS said:

It works, IOMMU is enabled in Unraid-VM inside Proxmox after this + Unraid reboot.

Yes, it works but.....I tried to passthrough my iGPU but it doesn't work..... Have you tried passthrough some hardware to see if it really works?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 7:49 PM, Zippi said:

Yes, it works but.....I tried to passthrough my iGPU but it doesn't work..... Have you tried passthrough some hardware to see if it really works?

Yes, I can pass-through SATA-Controller (or disks), I also have a nVidia GPU passed through, works fine.