ReiserFS error: Should I use reiserfsck --rebuild-tree

I was asked to move this post to its own thread:

I was having problems with read only state/s and when looking at the syslog it was apparent the issue was md4.  I ran reiserfsck as per wiki http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

cd                   [this will make sure you are in the /root directory]
samba stop           [all your shares will disappear from network]
umount /dev/md4      ['md4' corresponds to disk4, note it is 'umount', not 'unmount']
reiserfsck --check /dev/md4  [answer with the word Yes when prompted, do not type yes or YES, but Yes (capital Y and lower case es)]

After reiserfsck finished I got a message saying,

"3 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree"

(am I to take this as "your are being instructed by reiserfsck to run --rebuild-tree?)

I may be over thinking this, but I surely do not want to loose data.  Wiki says,

"Important Note!!! Do NOT run reiserfsck with the --rebuild-sb or --rebuild-tree switches, unless you are instructed to, by the instruction of a previous run of reiserfsck, or by an expert user!"

Am I ok to proceed with:

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/md4  [answer with Yes when prompted. (capital Y and lower case es)]

I am just needing some assurance from an "EXPERT USER" that this is the best thing for me to do.

(PS I do not currently have UnMenu installed)

Albin

I was asked to move this post to its own thread:

I was having problems with read only state/s and when looking at the syslog it was apparent the issue was md4.  I ran reiserfsck as per wiki http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

cd                   [this will make sure you are in the /root directory]
samba stop           [all your shares will disappear from network]
umount /dev/md4      ['md4' corresponds to disk4, note it is 'umount', not 'unmount']
reiserfsck --check /dev/md4  [answer with the word Yes when prompted, do not type yes or YES, but Yes (capital Y and lower case es)]

After reiserfsck finished I got a message saying,

"3 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree"

(am I to take this as "your are being instructed by reiserfsck to run --rebuild-tree?)

I may be over thinking this, but I surely do not want to loose data.  Wiki says,

"Important Note!!! Do NOT run reiserfsck with the --rebuild-sb or --rebuild-tree switches, unless you are instructed to, by the instruction of a previous run of reiserfsck, or by an expert user!"

Am I ok to proceed with:

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/md4  [answer with Yes when prompted. (capital Y and lower case es)]

I am just needing some assurance from an "EXPERT USER" that this is the best thing for me to do.

(PS I do not currently have UnMenu installed)

Albin

If a previous run of reiserfsck says you need to run --rebuild-tree, you need to run it.  It is the only thing you can do to fix the issue. 

The wiki warning is probably overly cautious. (but needs to be, as people often do really stupid things when in a panic)

I performed the "rebuild tree" via telnet/putty and after it completed I went through the steps to resume normal operation (so all shares would be visible)

Here are the last lines of the Rebuild-Tree: (full log attached)

===================================================================

Flushing..finished03, 33 /sec

Objects without names 705

Dirs linked to /lost+found: 9

Dirs without stat data found 3

Files linked to /lost+found 696

Objects having used objectids: 684

files fixed 676

dirs fixed 8

Pass 4 - finished done 155681, 57 /sec

Deleted unreachable items 23

Flushing..finished

Syncing..finished

###########

reiserfsck finished at Thu Nov  3 03:13:35 2011

###########

root@Tower:~#

=====================================================

I mapped a network drive for Disk 4 and see there is a "lost+found" folder (below is an abbreviated print of the directory tree) (attached is the full tree)

File/Folder Name Size DATE Attribute

1121_272857\ <DIR> 11/02/2011 22:56 ----  (04 files with original name)

1121_272870\ <DIR> 06/01/2007 16:11 ----  (12 files with original name)

1121_272871\ <DIR> 06/01/2007 16:11 ----  (Empty Folder)

1122_272872\ <DIR> 06/01/2007 16:03 ----  (Empty Folder)

133_272852\ <DIR>   06/01/2007 15:55 ----  (Folder with 2 Files original names)

2480_283471\ <DIR> 06/01/2007 16:04 ----  (Empty)

264783_283477\ <DIR> 11/02/2011 22:57 ----  (04 files with original name)

272849_272874\ <DIR> 11/02/2011 22:57 ----  (Empty)

5889_283472\ <DIR> 06/01/2007 16:36 ----  (33 files with original name)

272920_272962 50,003,968 07/09/2010 05:24 -a--  (687 with this attribute)

5126_288531 2,659,392 03/17/2007 17:29 -ahs  (001 with this attribute)

2471_287910 21,504 06/21/2004 09:53 -ah-  (001 with this attribute)

4152_287911 8,192 12/18/2559 12:18 r--- (006 with this attribute)

4152_287917 4,096 12/18/2559 12:18 ---- (001 with this attribute)

====================================

This may or may not be related to the rebuild-tree but I can't get to the GUI for this tower.  So I am not sure of the condition or state of of the parity file/s is.  Is there a way to restart the GUI?  I do not have unmenu installed.  I am not sure of the version I am running (I know I am not running 5.x (I do have a recent syslog but where in the file is the version number))  (Is there a way to see the version in telnet/putty)  I am not sure how safe it is to power down without knowing the state of Parity.

So right now I need to know the safest method to reboot the server (or restart the GUI), with the above considered?

Is there a specific method or program for determining what file types these recovered files are (other than trial and error)?

After Rebuild-tree I did a back up of the syslog, but can't access it at the moment (I tried to map a network drive for \\tower\flash but it did not work)

lost-and-found.txt

rebuild-tree-log.txt

Run rieserfsck --check again to confirm success. To restart the GUI enter:

killall emhttp
nohup /usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

I reran rieserfsck and here is the out put:

###########

reiserfsck --check started at Mon Nov  7 20:41:23 2011

###########

Replaying journal: Done.

Reiserfs journal '/dev/md4' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

Checking internal tree.. finished

Comparing bitmaps..finished

Checking Semantic tree:

finished

No corruptions found

There are on the filesystem:

Leaves 156339

Internal nodes 1028

Directories 13983

Other files 470018

Data block pointers 84486375 (143506 of them are zero)

Safe links 0

###########

reiserfsck finished at Mon Nov  7 21:20:46 2011

###########

After starting Samba and remounted disk4, I tried

killall emhttp
nohup /usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

I was unable to access the GUI but I did get the following:

[1] 5351

nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'

Is there a way to invoke a parity check from telnet / putty?

Is the GUI still inaccessible? Do you have power down installed? You can try a short press of the power button (DO NOT hold it down).

The GUI is still inaccessible. :'(

I do not have power down installed. :'(

I have a few more question prior to trying a "short press" of the power button.

Seeing rebuild-tree fixed the errors and the second run of reiserfs shows no errors.  Am I in any danger if I power down and parity is not valid?  I could just try the "short press" power button, but I am nervous that I may be at risk of data loss if parity is not valid and the short press does not do a proper shut down. 

Is it possible to install power down while unraid is running?

I just am making sure I explored all my options prior to trying a short press, or long press of the power button.

Thanks, Albin

Is the GUI still inaccessible? Do you have power down installed? You can try a short press of the power button (DO NOT hold it down).

The GUI is still inaccessible. :'(

I do not have power down installed. :'(

I have a few more question prior to trying a "short press" of the power button.

Seeing rebuild-tree fixed the errors and the second run of reiserfs shows no errors.  Am I in any danger if I power down and parity is not valid?  I could just try the "short press" power button, but I am nervous that I may be at risk of data loss if parity is not valid and the short press does not do a proper shut down. 

Is it possible to install power down while unraid is running?

I just am making sure I explored all my options prior to trying a short press, or long press of the power button.

Thanks, Albin

To cleanly stop the array from the command line...

You must stop samba file sharing

killall smbd

killall nmbd

then you must un-mount the data disks

umount /dev/md1

umount /dev/md2

umount /dev/md3

etc...

you will not be able to un-mount them if they are busy.  (yes, the command is "umount")

Then you can stop the array cleanly

/root/mdcmd stop

at that point you can shut down power in any way you like.

To cleanly stop the array from the command line...

You must stop samba file sharing

killall smbd

killall nmbd

then you must un-mount the data disks

umount /dev/md1

umount /dev/md2

umount /dev/md3

etc...

you will not be able to un-mount them if they are busy.  (yes, the command is "umount")

Then you can stop the array cleanly

/root/mdcmd stop

at that point you can shut down power in any way you like.

Thanks.  I went through your suggested shut down steps, and then restarted the tower.  I now have access to the GUI and it says "Parity-Check in progress".  Now that I can get to the GUI I can post the version I am running 4.7

My final step is to figure out what to do with the following files:

272920_272962        50,003,968      07/09/2010 05:24        -a--  (687 files with this attribute)

5126_288531        2,659,392            03/17/2007 17:29        -ahs  (001 files with this attribute)

2471_287910        21,504              06/21/2004 09:53        -ah-  (001 files with this attribute)

4152_287911        8,192                  12/18/2559 12:18        r--- (006 files with this attribute)

4152_287917        4,096                  12/18/2559 12:18        ---- (001 files with this attribute)

Seeing the recovered file does not have an extension, Windows does not know what to do with it.  I have opened a few in a text editor, but no luck at that.  I added a jpg extension to the first file and I had no problem (able to open it).  The second file I tried, jpg, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, tif, dxf, dwg, jif, wav, avi, and several other extensions (with no luck).  Is there an easier way to do this?  Does the a, ahs, ah, or r attribute give an hints to what they may be?

Thanks

Seeing the recovered file does not have an extension, Windows does not know what to do with it.  I have opened a few in a text editor, but no luck at that.  I added a jpg extension to the first file and I had no problem (able to open it).  The second file I tried, jpg, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, tif, dxf, dwg, jif, wav, avi, and several other extensions (with no luck).  Is there an easier way to do this?  Does the a, ahs, ah, or r attribute give an hints to what they may be?

Thanks

One way that might give you a clue as to the file contents is to open the file in a hex editor.

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

Scroll down looking in the right hand view pane, hopefully you will see some recognizable words that may help you figure out what the original file name or file type might be. Pictures generally have information embedded that give it away as a picture, even if you can't see the actual photo, similarly spreadsheets or word documents generally have their contents at least marginally recognizable.