[SOLVED] HWADDR in Network config file - normal?

Is it normal to see a HWADDR in a network config file for a server that is using a PCI NIC to replace a failed onboard NIC?  For example:

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP=no

IPADDR=192.168.0.186

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

GATEWAY=192.168.0.1

HWADDR=00:30:67:07:73:65

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV=no

DNS_SERVER1=192.168.0.1

DNS_SERVER2=

DNS_SERVER3=

The servers I usually work with do not have this HWADDR line, but they also use onboard NICs.  And yes, the onboard NIC has been disabled in BIOS.  This is in unRAID 4.7.

Thanks guys!  That was my hunch.  I believe the HWADDR in the above network config is referring to the old NIC, which has been disabled in BIOS.  This server was built pre-unRAID 4.7, so that would explain why the HWADDR is there in the first place.  Hopefully deleting the line fixes the issue, I'll keep you posted.

No dice.  Here's the full story:

The server's onboard NIC has been disabled in BIOS.  An Intel PCI NIC is installed.  The network.cfg file has been edited so that it now looks like this (HWADDR removed):

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP=no

IPADDR=192.168.0.186

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

GATEWAY=192.168.0.1

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV=no

DNS_SERVER1=192.168.0.1

DNS_SERVER2=

DNS_SERVER3=

ifconfig at the server's console does return the correct IP address, as shown above.  The server seems to have no connection to the other computers on the network or to the internet (pinging from the server doesn't seem to work at all, but I'm not sure if I have the syntax right: ping google.com should do it, right?).  Pinging the server from a windows computer on the LAN results in a timeout.  Pinging google from the Windows computer works fine.  Cannot telnet in either.

All the network cables have been checked, and all devices have been rebooted several times (modem, router, server, Windows computer).

At this point it looks like there might be an issue with the router (a D-Link DIR-655).  The router's IP should be 192.168.0.1 (as shown above), but browsing to that IP also times out.  Pinging the router also times out.  Physically moving the router results in dropped connections with the server (the server beeps as the link signal is lost and found again).  Multiple ports on the router have been tested.

I think the next step is to physically reset the router using the little pin on the back, but I want to see if anyone else has any ideas before taking that drastic measure.

The problem appears to be solved, but I don't fully understand how or why.  Here's the latest:

I wanted to see if the server was communicating with the router at all, so I had the client enable DHCP to see if the router would assign a new IP address to the server.  A reboot later and it did have a new IP: 192.168.254.3  Huh?  Apparently the router's subnet is now 254 instead of the default 0.  Still can't access the router's admin page to find out why...

Anyway, I had the client access the server via //tower instead of the static IP and it worked.  The server is working normally again, at least for the time being.  I still have the sense that something screwy is going on with the router, but we'll leave it be for the time being.