Unraid Registration Key Transfer

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hi Everyone, 

I searched on forum for similar question but didn't found one, if exists, please forward me to it.

My problem is that when i started with unraid, i did not, stil don't know enough, made few catastrophic mistakes and lost almost everything, so i panicked and download new instance of unraid but with trial license. Got everything up and running, but now i would like to transfer license key from first Unraid to this trial one or there is better solution. I still have old registered Unraid USB stick.

All help is appreciated,

Best Regards

Tim

itjtower-diagnostics-20240301-1312.zip

Easiest solution would be to back up both sticks, just copy the contents to a folder on your daily driver. Then delete all the files on your old registered stick, copy your working install to it, delete the trial key out of the config folder, then copy your registered key from the backup you made back into the config folder.

Profit.

Ok, i think that i understood everything except I'm not sure what will happen with my setup in unraid, shared folders, etc.

Is that info written on the USB that i supposed to erase? Is that not similar to plugging old registered USB into new configured server and start new config?

I'm not trying to be rude ( not questioning expertise ) but I'm cautions that I don't mess something up again!!

Tim

All your customizations are stored on the USB stick in the config folder. You are transferring all that information to the registered stick, then putting the registration key back with it so it knows it's a legit full license and not the trial.

As long as you make a full backup of all the files on both sticks, you can reconstruct them at any point.

• Solution

If you really want to, you can delete the trial key and put your old license key file on the new stick and do the automated transfer, but that blacklists the old stick, limiting your options, and you only get 1 transfer per year through the automated system, otherwise you must contact support to get things sorted.

Much easier to just use the old stick with a valid license already.

OK, now i understand. Thank you for patience explaining it to me. Im not IT material. 

Like to learn new stuff.

I have another question about HDD's

Can i ask here or open another thread?

Again, Thank You.