Newbie with thoughts that need confirmation / feedback

Hi everyone. Just started to dabble with unRAID and had some thoughts based on what I have in the house right now.  My ultimate goal is for a plex server and hosting of the occasional game (Think Icarus/Palworld etc.. type situations).  I have a 10 year old PC running an AMD processor and 32 gigs of ram.  This already has 2 9 TB platter drives, a 2TB platter drive, and a 500 gb SSD (Formerly a Windows OS drive).  I have a brand new Intel NUC Extreme 13 with 64 Gigs RAM, 1 1 TB NVME and 1 2 TB NVME.  In my head, my old machine would make an excellent NAS and the NUC a great processing machine.  Does this make sense to you all?  Run all processing through the new top tier machine and the storage through the old system?  If yes, how do I go about getting the Processing server to see all the storage in the Storage server?  

I may have the cart in front of the horse, so feel free to tell me how to do this better.  I've been watching videos by Spaceinvader as well as IBRACORP. It's been a little tough going through old videos and relating them to new systems, but I'm getting there.  Others you'd recommend I research through?  

Your old PC is better for NAS than the NUC would be. 

2 hours ago, poseidon7902 said:

how do I go about getting the Processing server to see all the storage in the Storage server?

Have you ever used a NAS?

Network Attached Storage. 

You access its files over the network. 

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your old PC is better for NAS than the NUC would be. 

Have you ever used a NAS?

Network Attached Storage. 

You access its files over the network. 

Yes, I'm well aware of what a NAS is.  I'm asking about the underlying architecture and configuration needed to have a separate processing machine running unRAID on the front end while utilizing an unRAID server on the back end managing just the storage portion.  

Your "old computer" NAS might be able to take care of plex by itself. How many streams?

Do you mean you intend to run Unraid on both machines?

Unassigned Devices plugin will let you mount "remote" shares (SMB, NFS) from other computers and they can be accessed in the same way that local storage is.