8+ Drive Server Recommendations

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my current NAS to something i can actually use (Core 2 Duo + 4x 500gb laptop HDD's in a raid 10 config), but I'm having trouble finding something actually good for its price. So far based off of 2 hours of googling the cheapest servers I've found were QNAP servers $2K AUD for a crappy CPU no ram and 8 drive bays (drives not included). I not looking for all in one solution (if its my best bet then sure) but if i can find a good chassis that can store a lot of drives and a mobo+cpu+ram combo to fit in the case + an SFP+ pcie card or even one built into the mobo that would be great. 2K AUD (1300 USD) excluding drives (IDK if this is overkill or not based on what I've been looking at i don't think ill find anything cheaper) is my budget but i can stretch it 200 or more so if there is something worth it. Based on my use cases an entire SSD build is not worth it for me, but i do need some fast storage so if the chassis had a couple of ssd slots on the front with the HDDs inside thats probably what I'm looking for. If anyone knows any good cheap chassis and hardware to go along that would be much apreciated if you could let me know! 

For the chassis have a look at the Aerocool Cipher. Once invented for CHIA Mining it gives you space for al lot of HDD's.

The rest depends on what you actually want to do and can be anything from a Intel N100 up to a Ryzen Threadripper. So you need to be more specific.

Omg I can't believe I didn't specify, I guess it was just all I was picturing, but I'm looking for something rack mountable, and as for the mention of a threadripper, I'm just using it as a NAS which is why I've put an emphasis on the storage and network connectivity. If a basic CPU starts struggling I'll probably just get a raid card to control everything. If I decide to run an important server over the top of the drives so I get raid redundancy I'll probably just convert it to a jbod and use an external server.