Maxtor 1TB sata/300 32MB L01F1000 $235 delivered

dabl

I have some experience with Maxtor drives in general - generally not very good. Nothing like having a failure mode where the firmware for the drive operation is stored ON the drive such that when it fails nothing is accessible on the platters! Had that occur twice with zero recovery possible by an end user - long story. Their warranty period, unless it has changed recently, is also not great compared to say Seagate. WD is who has made the 1TB drives I have and their warranty isn't terrific either I'm afraid but they cost less and use less juice than a comparable Seagate.

Maxtor was recently purchased by Seagate. If their quality has somehow gotten better then great I'd use them - when the adjust their warranty to reflect some confidence like Seagate. Until I can be sure of those things I'm sticking with WD begrudgingly and Seagate primarily. YMMV, I'm sure some folks swear by Maxtor but I tend more towards swearing at them  :P

I think that everyone has their biased based on anecdotal experience.

I have had good luck with Maxtor over the years - much better than with WD.  The last WD drive I bought (750GB) had bad sectors when it was new.  I didn't do a thorough test before using it and encountered the errors later.  Not good.  Their newest line rates drives as "5400 to 7200 RPM" and their advertising makes it sound like somehow the drive senses the need to speed up and changes gears.  This is very misleading, as all the high capacity versions of these disks are 5400 RPM with some optimizations.  Despite their slower speed, a lot of people here like these drives for unRAID (lower power, cheaper and less heat) and have good luck with them.

I have had the best experience with Seagate, and recommend them highly.  Maxtor would be #2 for me.  With WD a distant 3rd.

BTW, until very recently the Seagate 1T drives have been $234 on outpost.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that special come back.

Maxtor was recently purchased by Seagate.

Depending on your definition of "recent", that is true.  It was 2005, I believe.  Of course, it can take a while for a company to truly digest another and bake its corporate priorities into the new products.  Hopefully that is a positive change - certainly that is the perception of most.

Maxtors come with three year warranties and I have had zero of them fail (more anecdotal data) vs. two for WD and zero for Seagate (out of perhaps 20 drives total - the rest kept going until their use was no longer necessary).  Yes, I would prefer to have Seagate, but I don't think the difference is very much and having unRAID minimizes the risk of quality issues anyway.

Interestingly, the price differences these days are minimal, whether we are talking about different brands or refurb vs. new.  I recently saw refurb 750GB Seagate (old ones, the 7200.10) for about $10 less than a new one.  Thus it pays just to wait for your personal favorite to go on sale and buy a bunch.

Bill

Maxtor was recently purchased by Seagate.

Depending on your definition of "recent", that is true.  It was 2005, I believe.  Of course, it can take a while for a company to truly digest another and bake its corporate priorities into the new products.  Hopefully that is a positive change - certainly that is the perception of most.

Maxtors come with three year warranties and I have had zero of them fail (more anecdotal data) vs. two for WD and zero for Seagate (out of perhaps 20 drives total - the rest kept going until their use was no longer necessary).  Yes, I would prefer to have Seagate, but I don't think the difference is very much and having unRAID minimizes the risk of quality issues anyway.

Interestingly, the price differences these days are minimal, whether we are talking about different brands or refurb vs. new.  I recently saw refurb 750GB Seagate (old ones, the 7200.10) for about $10 less than a new one.  Thus it pays just to wait for your personal favorite to go on sale and buy a bunch.

Bill

There is very little difference quality wise now...they are more or less coming off of the same lines...just depends on which stickers get slapped on at the end (at least that is what i'm lead to believe)... most of the Maxtor Retail stuff (External Drives like the OneTouch, etc) are actually getting Seagate drives  in em if you were to pull em open (and if they acutally had stickers on them, which some do and some don't).  There is VERY little "old" Maxtor left any more, other than the name, a small % of employees and a big plant in China, (and a few other small things).

SW2